Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
1,5,8 & 9.
They have the whole deer or at least most of it.
The deer, hunter, setting where harvested and weapon all share an equal part in the photo.
Maybe scratch 9, no weapon.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
A big thanks for all you dropping in and leaving both your remarks and your choices. I've always been one to take pictures of the whole deer in its natural setting, where it died. Weapon included in the photo and animal being tagged are important to me as well. Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
We prefer to take the hero shots right where they fell. No blood no tongue. It's harder for me as I don't see the blood well.

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
Criteria according to OP - photo contest, perfect picture to "remember the day"

In this order:

1 (shows habitat, weapon and camera)
8 (assuming it is focused well in the original, seems out of focus on my phone -- disqualified if not :))
6 (shows location and weapon)
9 (the deer and hunter "pop" in that night photo)
5 (habitat and weapon)

3 and 7 are good, too, but don't give the feeling of being in the field at the point of recovery, so (in my mind) don't help to remember the day as well as the ones I selected.

4 seems to have the focus on the front of the frame, not the buck/hunter -- so not the best photo.

2 is nicely done, but didn't make my top 5, but I can't really explain why.

·
Registered
278 Posts
1 2 6 7 9

it is sooo tough, all are great
agree with most thoughts
smile, it is time to share good times with friends, time for a celebration

now in this mega-pixel digital world, can take pictures from further distances and zoom in as needed back at home for the ultimate pic

take way more than you think, with different angles, hunter orientations and game orientations, easier to pic the best ones and toss out the rest at home

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
take way more than you think, with different angles, hunter orientations and game orientations, easier to pic the best ones and toss out the rest at home
Good advice. I will often take a video and then use "videocapture" for stills. That takes practice, too. It's very useful when no one is available to be photographer.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Tough decision. I always try to avoid getting caught up in a little blood, tags on antlers, with/out firearm, etc. For me it’s about capturing the smile and excitement of the hunter with deer post-harvest.

For me, best “photo” is a tie between #3 and #6.

The best “what hunting is all about” photo is #6. It captures everything: smiling hunter in harvest field, very nice trophy rack properly angled & presented, firearm used for harvest, perfect shot placement, great background showing hunting area with elevated blind, and some hunter orange. Keeping this photo to show new hunters “what it’s all about”.

Top-5 in order: 6, 3, 2, 1, 9

(Putting following at end instead of beginning of post)
As a wannabe amateur photographer, it’s all about composition and lighting. As a dad having shot a lot of sports action shots (for school websites, publication covers, posters, etc), the orientation (landscape vs portrait) is a big driver. We tend to view life horizontally, but publications are vertical.

Landscape:
1 – Great composition & attention to detail by photog, getting full deer body w/legs tucked under and bow tastefully presented (also note how angles from bow & buck’s skull draw you to hunter’s face…nice!)
4 – Great night shot with excellent composition of hunter, full body & rack and firearm. As others stated, I prefer legs tucked. The only thing which could make this photo better for me would be starlit sky in background (not possible with flash, but an excellent flash photo at night nonetheless).
9 – Another great flash shot at night! Excellent job tucking legs & turning antlers to capture all the stuff we wanna see.

Portait:
2- Great composition, touch dim on lighting of deer & hunter’s face, but the buck’s antlers are perfectly aligned to capture all the detail. Well done! This shoulda been a landscape shot with full body.
3 – GREAT portrait shot & composition. Photog was aiming for magazine cover photo effect and nailed it (including crossbow along edge nicely nuances firearm without being overbearing). Awesome lighting and best bokeh of the group!
5 – Decent composition, but unclear whether this photo wants to be portrait or landscape. Cropping out rump in portrait mode would nail it.
6 – This photo needs to be cropped as landscape and would be outstanding! Missed perfect composition (sling obstructs firearm) by “ ” that much.
7 – Bucks with chicks – no fair! Another awesome technical photo like #3. My eyes are darting back & forth between the antler spread and a beautiful smiling face. Would like to see photog move back 2-4’ so I can enjoy her smile & the rack (err, antlers) at same time. Nice bokeh & best lighting of the group!
8 – Despite busy background, great job with composition to capture the important stuff. I really enjoy these “in the hunting woods” types of photos which feel natural and unstaged (like #1 and #2). We can all see ourselves in their place.

Awesome submissions! Looking forward to next year's photos.

·
Registered
972 Posts
BWHUNTR,
I don't think we made your job any easier.
Good input and value in everyone's perspective.
Let us know the results.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
7,6,1,9, &5, #7 on pure photo Quality and a cute lady goes a long way. The rest could be in any order with # 6 a high quality
pic with good contrast and clarity, # 1 shows a dedicated hunter with 3 cameras in the tree behind the hunter data helped him
tag that buck.All deer that most would be happy to tag too....

Reactions: BWHUNTR
41 - 54 of 54 Posts