Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
20,767 Posts
5,7,8,9. Pull #5 out of the hat.

I'm not squeamish or picky , but agree with the reducing blood . Tongue ect..
If bloody field dressed , take pic from backside of deer vs belly. Or more frontal if the headshot shows dimension enough.

While I take lousy pictures....And shouldn't critique , others elsewhere emphasize the hunters face needs to be clear.
Show hat hair with hat removed if needed. Lighting factors. And the clear shots affected my choices of pics along with the (for the squeamish) gore reduction.

They're good pics all , regardless. Obvious good effort in taking them involved.

Reactions: BWHUNTR

·
Registered
12,102 Posts
Personally I disagree. It's one thing to take a quick on the ground photo to send to a buddy. It's another to drag it to a selected area, carefully pose the deer, and still not have a tag on it. For me, filling out and placing the tag has always been an important part of the tradition of the hunt and is important to show in the picture, beyond even the fact that it is the law.
I get what you are saying Urriah and I know what the letter of the law says. But I also recognize the intent of the law, which is to discourage tagging violations or transporting untagged deer. I don't really see a photo op at the kill site as being in violation of the intent of the law. It would probably be better, if you want to take photos without visible tags, to at least validate the tag first and have it ready to attach to the animal as soon as the photos are done. I can't imagine even the strictest of CO's taking issue with that.

·
Registered
845 Posts
2, 3, 4, 6, 7.

I'm partial to the closer up portrait style pics, crystal clear focus with a slight blur in the background.

Love a good night pic also.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
3-4-6-7-9

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

Reactions: BWHUNTR

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
3 - 4 - 6 - 7 - 8 With 3 being my favorite.

All great pictures and bucks...thanks for sharing!

Reactions: BWHUNTR and Namrock

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
They are all awesome deer,
1. = No because of the game camera in the back ground
2, 5, 8 = good ones
3, 4, 6, 7 not big on pictures being taken in a field, yard or tower blinds in the background

·
Registered
660 Posts
3, 6, and 7

For me, 6 is the best ‘field’ pic.

3 and 7 are both ‘posed’ - but both are done very nicely and have just enough of the bow showing to know they were archery kills. For me, better to pose the animal than have too much blood or grainy night pics.

You couldn’t convince me to pick 5 from this assortment. I think #1 would be much better if cropped, but the tongue and blood are still turn offs.

I think 2 is nice pic - but the hunter looks like he just ran a marathon, his emotion is either total relief or exhaustion (can’t tell which, but doesn’t look overly happy).

For me the hunter needs to be smiling or at least showing a satisfied/content grin, the deer’s head is up to show the antlers, and definitely no tongue. Prefer minimal or no blood so gut after or take head shots. Prefer no pics at dark due to weird shadows and/or flash streaks, otherwise take a lot of pics and be prepared to edit in PS.

Just an FYI - but if the kill tag is attached to the leg you’d never know it in prolly 50% of most deer photos, and the MI DNR recommends using wire to attach the tag to the antler, jaw or lower leg…

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
1,8 and 9 they do not have any of the deer cut off or partial deer. By zooming in and cutting the deer off creates an illusion of antlers being larger than they are. Also they all are smiling increasing the photo being liked. 3rd and not least 1 and 9 have no shadow on the face 8 does have a shadow from the hat but far enough up that it shows at least half a forehead and does not cover the eyes. So out of the 9 I only see 3 that I would choose on photo or pic. Don't get me wrong some of the lighting may be better but lighting depending on day/evening/cloudy etc can be a factor but cutting off parts, no smiles and shadows effect it more knowing the pictures are not taken in a studio IMO

·
Registered
444 Posts
9-7-3-4-6

If #6 was cleaned up just a bit would move up in my order. I dont mind blood in my pics but if you are judging on tasteful pics for the general public, clean em up a little.

·
Registered
5,915 Posts
2-4-5-6-8
But their all great pics of some great deer. Congratulations to all the hunters Big Pat! But seriously, none of the guy's beards are long enough to be a truly epic hero shot. 😎

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
2, 4, 5, 6 & 9.

Tough call and I liked others as well. After thinking about why I liked some maybe better than others...

1. Agree that all blood should be cleaned up as best you can
2. Tongue should be back inside the mouth
3. I liked the full body photos and with the legs tucked under the deer most (not always easy to do)
4. Head rotated slightly to give a little better profile of the antlers rather than "head on" or "full side view"
5. Weapon included in photo - After seeing #9 without the weapon...I am not so sure it is necessary?
6. Fill up the full frame with the deer and hunter with maybe less background
7. Which one is MBrewer?? :D
I agree with Wild Thing and most of what he said .
Flight

·
Registered
688 Posts
6,4,1,5,and 9, in that order. All great pictures. 6 being my favorite, just the detail, blind in the back ground, Cut Corn, shot placement, Great Buck, and the hunters smile looks like the Cat that just caught the mouse. :):)

21 - 40 of 54 Posts