Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm in my 24th season of running my buck contest. I implemented a photo contest several years back after a buddy of mine suggested it to me. The main goal was to start getting these folks to take the time and just capture that one "perfect" picture to remember that day. The decisions on picking the best 5 from a field of 35-45 bucks is becoming a challenge. When we've selected the 5 photos for preparation of the party, the afternoon of the party all in attendance will vote for their favorites.

Our photo committee, LOL, consisting of 2 people have narrowed it down to 9 photos

I will list photo's by number, will you browse through all 9 photos and select your favorite 5. They don't need to be in any particular order, just the top five you like and maybe leave a comment as to why you chose them and what do you look for and what makes a great quality picture/photo.

Thanks in advance for your participation

photo 1
Hunting Deer hunting Grass Hat People in nature

photo 2
Hunting Plant community Chainsaw Plant Tree

photo 3
Trophy hunting Hunting Deer hunting Plant Hat

photo 4
Hunting Deer hunting Trophy hunting Human body Elk

photo 5
Camouflage Plant Military camouflage Plant community Military uniform

Reactions: Doghouse 5

·
Premium Member
11,384 Posts
Nice bucks all.

I'd say keep it simple. Subject, hunter and a background that says a little about the hunt. So, I'd pick number one. It's centered nicely. Plus, you see everything you need to for a feel for the hunt. Number eight clicks all the main points but is too grainy.

·
Registered
12,102 Posts
2, 4, 5, 6 & 9.

Tough call and I liked others as well. After thinking about why I liked some maybe better than others...

1. Agree that all blood should be cleaned up as best you can
2. Tongue should be back inside the mouth
3. I liked the full body photos and with the legs tucked under the deer most (not always easy to do)
4. Head rotated slightly to give a little better profile of the antlers rather than "head on" or "full side view"
5. Weapon included in photo - After seeing #9 without the weapon...I am not so sure it is necessary?
6. Fill up the full frame with the deer and hunter with maybe less background
7. Which one is MBrewer?? :D

·
Registered
12,102 Posts
Just a suggestion, but those without a visible kill tag being displayed go to the back of the line.
Nope - I like photos without the kill tag best. I know a deer is supposed to be tagged immediately but if you can't at least get a few pics without a visible tag before field dressing then the law should be changed. There is the "letter of the law" and then there is the "spirit of the law".

·
Registered
540 Posts
Nope - I like photos without the kill tag best. I know a deer is supposed to be tagged immediately but if you can't at least get a few pics without a visible tag before field dressing then the law should be changed. There is the "letter of the law" and then there is the "spirit of the law".
Personally I disagree. It's one thing to take a quick on the ground photo to send to a buddy. It's another to drag it to a selected area, carefully pose the deer, and still not have a tag on it. For me, filling out and placing the tag has always been an important part of the tradition of the hunt and is important to show in the picture, beyond even the fact that it is the law.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I’m with wild thing on pics looking better without the kill tag. I know what the law states. I’m one that uses zip tie, shoe sting etc. Guess you can tag first and always untie from horn quick for the photo.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
9, 2, 3, 6, 7

Most of this has been said, but my preferences...
-Remove blood
-Put tongue back in
-Roll front legs under body
-Fill most of frame with hunter/deer
-Try to keep antlers in front of a non-cluttered background
-Angle of shot straight-on or up...not down.
-Hide or remove tag

1 - 20 of 54 Posts