Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that everyone here has good opinions on picking the right motor for a boat, so here's my question. I am purchasing a Starcraft 16 foot dual console which weighs in around 785 pounds with a max horsepower rating of 75. It comes standard with a 50 merc which I originally planned on upgrading to a 60. Now I am thinking maybe going with the 75 is a better choice. The tradeoff is that the 75 will add another 100 pounds to the total weight. The 60 weighs around 215 pounds and the 75 is somewhere around 310 or 315. I was thinking that the extra hundred pounds in a boat this size is alot for the motor and will offset some of the horsepower gains. The price difference is about 1000 dollars but I am not that concerned about it. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
18,470 Posts
In my opinion, if you can afford it. MAX IT OUT ! If the boat's rated for up to a 75, then that's what I'd put on it if I could afford it. There's nothing worse than dropping a bunch of cash on a boat and then finding out later that it doesn't have as much power as you thought it would.

Just my .02

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
Power to weight ratio:

0.060 hp/lb with 60hp motor
0.068 hp/lb with 75hp motor

So you get a 13% increase in power to weight, which will more than likely get you more than a 13% increase in top speed, because once you are on plane, a boat needs little extra horsepower to go alot faster. Plus, holeshots will be quicker with the 75hp. Will a 75hp motor catch you more fish? Probably not, but it will get you to your fishing hole quicker, get you off the water quicker and it sure is fun to go fast! ;)

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Max it out. If you don't you will have to pay Steve $10 for everytime you say...."I should have got the 75".......

:D

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
There is NO econamical way to add power to a boat once you bought it. Best $1000 you could spend is right now....

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmm... maybe I should max it out, LOL. I like Kroppes' "put some numbers to it" answer. And I also like the fact that I can catch nothing even faster. I also don't want to pay Steve 10 dollars every time I say "I should have got the 75", because there probably would have been times when I would have said it. Thanks for all the replies. I am going tomorrow night to finalize the order and pick out all the goodies.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Are you planning on putting a "kicker" along side the main motor? Is this a big, wide beam, boat? If you're talking four-stroke 75 HP, you might not like the weight. There are certainly 16 foot boats that can carry it, but be sure. Many "experts" say 80% of max is enough. Are you looking at skiing or tubing?

Just offering the other side of the equation. Your basic $.02. In my case, I have 72% of max horsepower. Same type boat, but 17 1/2 feet long. I can do 40MPH anytine. Would not want more power, or weight.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RJF, the boat is not that wide, 83" max and 80" at the transom. I am going with a 2 cycle carbureted, even though merc is supposed to be releasing the 75 optimax this month (fuel injected). I am not planning on adding a kicker.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts