Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After too much rough handling over the past 20 years, I am getting a seeping-type of leak along the keel of my aluminum canoe. The leak seems confined to the last two feet in the stern. At least, when I look down I see water slowly spreading out from the center line of the boat (where the keel is attached by a double row of rivets through the bottom and then to a 2" wide aluminum strip that runs the length of the canoe), beginning about under the rear seat and extending back from there. My guess is that years of banging around have loosened the rivets. Any ideas on repair options?
Thanks,
Dave

·
Premium Member
7,379 Posts
DaveW731 said:
After too much rough handling over the past 20 years, I am getting a seeping-type of leak along the keel of my aluminum canoe. The leak seems confined to the last two feet in the stern. At least, when I look down I see water slowly spreading out from the center line of the boat (where the keel is attached by a double row of rivets through the bottom and then to a 2" wide aluminum strip that runs the length of the canoe), beginning about under the rear seat and extending back from there. My guess is that years of banging around have loosened the rivets. Any ideas on repair options?
Thanks,
Dave
Liquid steel - in the tube - works great and drys hard as,well, steel -

ferg.....

·
Registered
10 Posts
there is usually two sided adhesive tape in between the joints. you can rebuk existing rivets or replace them, another fix is to clean the surface and brush gluvit on the inside of the rivet lines, this is a slow curing plyable resin that adhears to aluminum and stays plyable. also i have seen sucess with truck bed nonskid like rino lining applyied to the bottom, black max

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was HOPING for some fix that wouldn't require redoing the rivets. I have never used either liquid steel or gluvit: I assume they would both be available at a hardware store?
Thanks again,
Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.