Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the fam. and I are going to stay with some friend around Hale this weekend. I was hoping to hr my Boys (7&8) out on the river and try to catch some fish. I haven't had alot of time to take them fishing this summer but there both pretty good caster and they have never caught a trout. They keep asking every time we go to ANY water.

If anyone can suggest some good wading spots to get in the river and maybe a pm or text (8103973662) for more info. I would really appreciate it, I took them to the UP in N. Manistee lk a few weeks ago and got totally skunked and had no idea where to hook some brookies. Sooo, so far dad is not providing very well. ;-)
Again thanks a ton, hopefully I can be super Dad this weekend with a little help from Ya'll

·
Premium Member
3,250 Posts
You are fly fishing?
Most if not all of the easy to wade sections are flies only on the AuSable.

The Mason tract or the Holy waters.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Foote pond? From a map that looks super wide?
Wifes friends live around Curtisville Rd and 65?

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
Try going up to Alcona Dam. There is platform you can fish from. There are some trout in there as well as bass.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is it worth driving up Ausable river rd, from Loud to Alcona. Get out and try to wade the river anywhere in that section?

·
Super Moderator
20,574 Posts
Parmalee, Whirlpool and Mio Dam access

Might be tough this year with the temps, but... Spinners like PM's and Mepps. Go big, you have to dredge bottom.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Below Foote in the river.
As suggested some PMRG's along with some bait of your choice, maybe some tubes and some floats? Maybe?? Blood Suckers are fun to play with:D

Below all those dams is some decent fishing at the right time of day...

·
Registered
13,992 Posts
Wow, must have gotten a LOT of rain up there, because the river is blowing hard right now. Probably not great for Trout anywhere, but I'll bet you could find some Smallies that are on the feed. When the water starts dropping (Sunday morning?) Trout action should really be good. Hope you and the boys are having a good time. Fish don't care if it is raining. :lol:

·
Premium Member
29,959 Posts
Foote pond? From a map that looks super wide?
Wifes friends live around Curtisville Rd and 65?
Head up to 4001 bridge above Alcona, they get some good stockings up there. Been quite a long time, but used to be trails on the eastside of river we'd drive back north and south of there to river and fish. Some areas people would camp also. Careful with the kids, some deep spots close to banks up there also. Good luck on the trout. You could also give the Ausable mouth a try for some salmon at night with some glow spoons. Easy casting by launch. Might be able to get some decent catfish also there.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the info guys, but because of the rain we did not get out to the river. We stayed on the friends lake and fished for Gills. We had one awesome catch after I caught a gill on a spider fly a LG Mouth started cashing him ,eventually gave up. So my buddy had the kids catch a big o frog(he's seen this guy before), changed rods and tossed him under the docked pontoon and WHAM!! I set the hook and handed the pole to my oldest, who had to drag the big hog on shore. He was a good 24-26" and prolly 3-4lb. Highlight of the weekend!!

·
Registered
13,992 Posts
A 24"-26" Largemouth would be a lot bigger than 3# - 4#! I would guess at least 5# or 6# from the fish I have caught. Great story.

We have a cabin in that area, and there are tons of little lakes with good populations of Bass, Bluegills, and Pike. Some have a few Walleyes, too. I will add that there are some places you can drive on two-tracks to get to the Ausable, and find stretches of river that aren't fished a lot. You can find some nice Trout at times, and can catch them with lots of different methods. I always like to use spinners because you can cover water thoroughly, and the hits are great. Bait probably puts more fish on your line.

·
Premium Member
29,959 Posts
A 24"-26" Largemouth would be a lot bigger than 3# - 4#! I would guess at least 5# or 6# from the fish I have caught. Great story.

We have a cabin in that area, and there are tons of little lakes with good populations of Bass, Bluegills, and Pike. Some have a few Walleyes, too. I will add that there are some places you can drive on two-tracks to get to the Ausable, and find stretches of river that aren't fished a lot. You can find some nice Trout at times, and can catch them with lots of different methods. I always like to use spinners because you can cover water thoroughly, and the hits are great. Bait probably puts more fish on your line.
I was thinking more like 6 or 8lb. I think the record (if it hasn't changed) was 22lbs. and 32" long. Only 6 in. shorter should be still pretty dang big. I believe a 24 or 25" smallie weighs around 5 or 6, so a largemouth should be heavier yet. Wasn't going to metion it, but since you opened the door:D:lol: Either way, heck of a nice bass be it 4lbs. or 26":)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts