Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good friend of mine shot this duck. He believes it is a mallard x black duck. Could it maybe be an intersex mallard? I am no waterfowl expert, just curious what some of you guys think. Awesome bird either way
IMG_0067.JPG
IMG_0066.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
17,709 Posts
Also sometimes hybrids breed so you get a 25% mix and not a 50%.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I'm no expert but that's a young mallard, if I shot it I'd have recognized it as a late bloomer.

..for what its worth, I did notice a lot of late hatches this year all over the state; especially geese.

Sometimes all it takes is one cold night to kill some ducklings and the mother goes on a mission to breed again as Most Drakes are DTF.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Sometimes all it takes is one cold night to kill some ducklings and the mother goes on a mission to breed again as Most Drakes are DTF.
Young drake mallard.

I don't belive it's ever been recorded that at northern latitudes (MI included), that the energy it takes for a female to hatch eggs, a female could have a second clutch. Now down south, it's been recorded that wood ducks can pull off a second clutch if they initiate nesting in February and are successful.

Think about it, a hen lays 10 eggs, incubated for 28 days, 50-60 days to fledged, your looking at 3.5 months. The chances of a hen to aquire energy reserves to pull off a 2nd clutch (ducklings) around here are nil.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts