Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to run Dipsy's like a good boy but HATE them. I know that's not right. I'm currently trying to use Dipsy's with 20lb test mono. But I'm having a heck of a time getting the release set properly. Either they release too easily or when I get 200ft. of mono out I can't get them to release at all. Then it's a long, long fight back to the boat (the same reason I gave up on Pink Ladies back it he 70's). Shouldn't I be able to release them with a quick jerk on the rod (yes there's a jerk on the rod but he obviously isn't all that quick).

Should I go to a 30lb or 50lb braid? Will that help? How touchy is the release setting?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Braid all the way. I used to run mono but realized when i switched how much energy and time i was wasting. Braid will let you run deeper with less line also.

·
Registered
9,081 Posts
I started with 30# braid but would suggest 50. We had a few problems last year

·
Banned
4,684 Posts
Been running 20lb fireline forever, never had an issue. I run it on 4 rods, but also have 4 diver rods with wire and 2 more with mono.

Mono divers will only dive to about 150 ft of line out, after that there is too much belly in line due to line did and the diver will actually start to run higher in water.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I use 30# braid but 50 is just as good. Just make sure your drag is set well because the braid doesn't stretch.
I concur, go 50# braid.

I started with 30# but lost a pair of dipsey set-ups when I tripped the release & snapped the braid. No such issues since I've switched to 50#.

·
Premium Member
29,965 Posts
What about color? Green? I'll probably buy power pro so choices are white, red, green, yellow.
Tried some PP years back on a casting reel, and it was th yellow. It was junk. Don't know if they make it different now, or the colors are different ones? I have a couple sealine reels I bought used, and have the green on them, and it seems to be good line so far, atleast for walleye. I've been using fireline since it came out in the original smoke, and never a problem. I spooled up 2 dipsey set ups with the 30lb. firleine backer, snubber and 40lb. flouro leader. Hope to try them soon! I got the "walker deeper divers" heard they were better than the dipsies, but they all look the same to me. They were about $3 cheaper:D What I'm wondering is how accurate is the charts on back of package?

·
Registered
365 Posts
I have been using 40# Power Pro for over 5 yrs with no problems for dipsys. I always run snubbers and minimum 8' leads to whatever I am running. :fish:

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Over 130-140 foot if line out you will have problems releasing the diver with mono, if you want To go deeper definitely go braid or wire. Power pro in 30,40, or 50 will work great, make sure to get a large spool though, the 150yd spool is just not enough when you are out 200-250 and a decent fish decides it is going south! If you run a 20lb leader use a snubber, I run 30-50lb leaders and don't bother with them. There is a place for mono divers, its just not when temp is deep. Good luck

·
Registered
9,081 Posts
Everything has its place.

Mono dipsys need to be at least 30# would suggest 40-45#. I also would stay away from Mag dispys with mono.
They work well inside of 150 ft of line out and are great for fishing steelhead.

Braid are great all around, fish them deep or shallow

Wire I mainly use as downrigger substitute. Gets you down deep.

My biggest issue with all divers is fish that like to cross lines. Wire will cut them off in a heartbeat. Braids good at it too, mono is much more forgiving than both.

I've also seen better hookup and land ratios off mono, with very few being lost.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts