Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently a very good friend gave me a sweet little 20 ga. SxS. It was made in Spain by Zambala, and imported in the early 70s by Richman arms, from Blissfield. I used it on a recent woodcock hunt, and it was the perfect gun..I could hold it easily in my right hand while pushing aside the aspen with my left. It also shouldered rapidly, and shot where i pointed it. Unfortunately, the stock must have been very dry, because a week later Ii broke it at the wrist when opening the action. I've looked for direct replacement stocks, and have not been able to find one. I would like to have the stock and forepiece replicated out of laminate, for added strength in the thin wrist area. Has anyone had experience restocking 2-piece shotguns? Any references for craftsmen that do that type of worK. I know it will be expensive, but the gun has significant sentimental value to me, and I would like to use it for the rest of my hunting career. Thanx...Thom please pm any replies

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Midway USA has a couple of video tutorials on the subject IICRC (of repairing). Boyd's stocks might have something. Did it snap into two or just fracture? Maybe you could call and ask one of the special gun room guys with a call at Cabela's. I'm not sure of any actual stock men in the downriver / monroe area. Back a few years ago there was a gunsmith on west jefferson near pt moulee, I am not sure of his forte's though. Did you ask one of the gun shops down in monroe?

·
Registered
941 Posts
Johnsons sporting goods in Adrian Michigan use to have a very good gunsmith. I have not been there for a while but his stock work was very very nice on his personal guns he would bring out shooting sporting clays. If he is still there, that is the place I would being my guns for stock work.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Especially if it's a more rare gun it would be a lot less expensive to fix the current stock. You could try it yourself or let a smith do it.

You could start by looking over some Utube tutorials. With the right glue it would probably be just fine. If that doesn't work out, you could always restock it later. I glued a complete break on a stock, at the grip. It has been just fine.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ended up sending the entire gun to Randy Murray in oregon. He had to glue the stock pieces back together, and add filler to make a model for a stock replicator. Then he fabricated a new stock and forepiece from laminated wood. Should be done soon, and i'll post before and after pics.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am GEEKED about the way this gun worked out. I now have an heirloom for my 2 year old grandson!!

·
Registered
35,746 Posts
Looks great, I'm glad it worked out for you.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Looks very nice. I like Zabala shotguns the Tristar Brittany is made by them it looks and feels nice. I am glad to see the work done on it was top notch.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts