Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the range yesterday to get ready for firearm deer season this year. Now I suck real bad with a scope on my gun im trying to get enough practice so I dont miss another deer this year I shot 50 rounds yesterday so my shoulder is alittle sore today.

anyway I shoot a remington bolt action model 700 30.06 with burris 3x9 red dot scope.
My question is this does not mack sense to me but it might to some one else when it is dialed in so the target is close I shot to the right about 1 1/2 to 2 inches but when it is out all the way I can hit the bullseye or closer. im grouping them in a pop can size group with both ways.

is this me or the scope?

·
Registered
5,823 Posts
I am thinking it is you..... How close are you talking? How many shots were off? Did you do any adjusting AFTER being off at a closer range?

G

·
0 Posts
Also as your barrel heats up from the shots, that will effect where the bullet hits.

·
Registered
26,523 Posts
close up 1 1/2 to 2 inches is no big deal. If your getting pop can size groups at 100 yards, don't fret about the close shots as the kill zone is 8 inches on a whitetail.

·
Registered
26,523 Posts
What you are experiencing is parallax. The scope changes point of aim when you zoom in. Sight your gun in for a happy medium and you'll be happy.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
As has been stated, it's not all that unusual for the point of impact to change slightly as the power is changed. The amount of eye relief with most scopes changes also. An inch or two at 100 yards is not going to make or break a normal distance shot in Michigan. To be safe, I always sight in the rifle for the power I hunt with which is always 4 power. Oh, and I would say that it is probably not you.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
You must be a young man. I could shoot my 700/ 30.06 quite a bit also when I was younger but 50 times ? Whew ! I do agree very much with the above posts. Just one little added. If you know the area where you are ging to hunt choose the happy medium and go with that. Rarely are you going to change the settings on your scope while hunting or have the time too. Thats one of the reasons why people carry a small pair of bino's. I've been using my 4X weaver for years out to 200yds with no problems.

·
Registered
35,272 Posts
It could be a host of problems you are experiencing.

Parallax

Barrel heating

Dirty barrel

Operator error, flinch due to many rounds shot in one session.

Mirage effect due to barrel heat.

Adjusting your windage and elevation during this practice session.

More than likely it is a combination of the some or the above items.

Try this:

Clean your barrel extremely well from the action not the muzzle, many barrel crowns have been damaged by cleaning rod wear. Use a cleaning rod guide sized for your rifle.

Have a sound rest complete with sand bags.

Resight in with the same ammo lot you have been using.

Set your variable to 4x to 6x and don't touch it again!

Remember don't pull the trigger, squeeeeeeze it sloooooowly .

Shoot 3 rounds.

Let your barrel cool down for a half hour.

Clean your barrel as clean as it was when you started.

Adjust your scope for windage and elevation, with the palm of your hand strike your stock several times, you may have your cross hair adjustment sticking and not moving untill after your first shot.

Take out your .22 and practice off hand shooting to kill time while your barrel cools down. It's very cheap practice and it will help get rid of the flinch you more the likely developed during the shooting session where you hurt your shoulder.

This should put you on target with consistant groups.

Try 3 more rounds for verification.

If you have a friend with you, have them chamber the rounds for you. Have them load in spent rounds so you don't know if you are squeezing the trigger on a live load or not. You will see movement in the scope if you are flinching even slightly. Tell him to give you at least 5 duds per every live round.

If you still are not shooting good groups post again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts