Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be in Cedarville at Barefoot's Resort over the holiday weekend. This will be my 1st trip to this area. Is there any big water fishing (salmon, lake trout, etc) worth chasing this time of year. I will be trailering the boat so I would be able to cover from Mackinac to Detour. Also, any help with the local fishing in Cedarville (perch, pike, etc) would be greatly apprciated. You can PM or email me at [email protected]

·
Registered
413 Posts
I've never fished up there but from what I hear the splake fishing can be very good this time of year.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have heard a few good reports out of the detour area in the last week. This time of year the Atlantics will be kicking in. They are alot of fun to fish for but You need to be out there early. The first 2 hours are usually best and You will want to target the top 25' of water. There is also a some kings in the area and You should have no problem catching Lakers. Areas to look for are from the green can on the detour side of the river just south of the drummond ferry out to and a little beyond the detour light house. If you hook an atlantic you will know it immediately. They are the most acrobatic fish in the great lakes. We have had them out of the water a couple of times before you can get the rod out of the rod holder:yikes: !

·
Registered
478 Posts
Yes at the East end of the islands you'll need a lake map they have some reefs that could cause some issues with trolling. Also great perch fishing around the islands as well. My buddy said they were catching a few walleyes this winter as well.

·
Registered
147 Posts
there are some atlantics being caught in detour. there might also be some off of cedarville as well. be carefull around the islands as there are lots of rocks that can cause major problems to lower units. you could also try around marquette island for pike, walleye and perch. the perch action in detour has pretty much stopped. walleye will start showing up in the raber area in the next few weeks. good luck.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help. I will be heading out in a couple hours and will post the results next week when I return.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I want to thank everyone for the great advice. What a great trip. It started out with a cold front that shut down most of the fishing. The perch were really slow but good sized (up to 11 inches). We searched around for the 1st couple days with very little success so we decided to put the riggers on and head to Detour. What a blast! 1st night there we went 2/3, 1 pink, 1 Atlantic. Next Morning got blown off but finally gout out around 10:00 went 5/7, all Atlantics. Went back one more time and went 2/7. most fish came on yellow tail / glow back, 1oz inline weight 100 behind the board. The last couple days the weather finally straighten out and the pike started to crank. The last night there we caugt 7 in 2hours. 1 was 36" and weighed 11#. The final morning we caught 12 and had one in the net at least 40". Net wasn't big enough and he flipped out. That was it and headed home. Oh ya..... I have to highly recommend Barefoot's Resort. Great people, great rates and SPOTLESS!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts