Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought some Eastman outdoors summer sausage.
The directions are vauge, after mixing and stuffing do i just let it cure in the fridge or cook it? Directions says nothing about cooking or how long to let cure in fridge for that matter. :help:

·
Registered
10,443 Posts
Generally, curing is done by heating, or smoking in the 18O degrees range for a few hours. It's different for salami, but all the summer sausage recipes I've seen say smoke and try and keep it at at the temp for a few hours.

Here's a pdf from the Eastman site. I didn't open it, but it says it's sausage instructions, so maybe the info you're looking for is in the link. link is at the bottom of the page.
http://www.eastmanoutdoors.com/flavors_sausage_seasonings.shtml

Ps, let me know what you think of their mix, I'm looking for a decent base seasoning to add on and come up with my own unique blend. This will be my 1st year making my own sausages and I've never actually done any before. I've been purchasing my equipment since the season ended and I picked up my last piece, a 15 lb vertical stuffer, a week ago.

I've been doing a decent amount of reading on the subject and that's where I've been getting my info. There is a good amount of info on the subject by googling sausage making and other keywords.

I'm really looking forward to making some sausage, this is gonna be fun.:)

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sib,I called the toll free # for Eastman and they told me to cook in oven at 225 degrees for 2-4 hrs. When meat temp is at 160 degrees it's done??
She also told me a web site( cooks.com )that had some recipes for summersauage and never seen any thing with the casings, all were either with alluminum foil or nothing at all. Iam going to try the casing and alluminum foil and also make small sticks ..

·
Registered
837 Posts
Might I suggest what I call the bible of sausage making, Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas. Having made my own sausages for 20 years I found this book to be great not only for experienced makers but also for the beginner that wants to expirement on his own. It covers everything from a - z on making sausages, from brines to cures to smoking and drying. The recipes are very concise and even describe the size grinder plates to use and the amount of time and temperatures to cook or cure your meat.
Personally when I make a batch of summer sausage (or any other sausages cured or fresh) I place it in the fridge at least overnight, remixing it a couple times. I feel this allows the spices to thoroughly permeate the meat giving a more even flavor throughout. Note: when using cures such as instacure or morton tender quick you will find the meat wil get very sticky. If you plan on stuffing the meat in casings you may want to stuff them prior to the night in the fridge although I have no problem stuffing casings the next day using the vertical stuffer.
Happy sausage making!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts