Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a javelin 21 msx.
The guy I bought it from only threw on some tite loks(didnt really fish). I will be removing tite loks The gunnels are beveled so a long track is out of the question. I hit lake huron few times a month and the boat will be used as family cruiser, tubin, etc. So I want to be able to remove gear. I also want to drill as least as possible into fiberglass.
Here are the 4 options I have come up with and what they cost.
1. Put handrails on the boat and use the rails to mount tracks and 3 rod holders(berts) $810 through northwoods
2. Put a cisco triple on the gunnel and call it a day. Can be removed quickly with thumb screws. $700
3. Traxstech triple with 6 inch track on gunnels $650
4. Just say screw removabilty and throw on big jon triple multi set on each side. Not easy to remove for family fun $400

I bought some used big jon tournament pro with 4 ft fixed booms and dual rod holders, which may be over kill for this boat. Thinking of mounting them in back near live well. I just set plates back there so you could see where I was thinking. I usually fish 2 riggers, 2 divers, and 2 boards. Or 4 divers or boards if more people on boat. I also have a 9.9 that will be placed on starboard side today.
0815151110.jpg
0815151112.jpg
0815151114.jpg

Let me hear your thoughts.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
I fish out of a somewhat similar boat. I have my riggers on gimball mounts that go in internal rod holders in the back corners. Halfway to the steering wheel I have a short berts track with a single ratcheting rod holder on each side. Then by the drivers seat I have another short plate with vertical rod trees. Would require some drilling but everything is easily removable

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I would put three gimbal rod holders on each side. One to hold your riggers, one for dipseys and the last for a set of trees. With this set up you could remove all your fishing stuff in about 3 minutes. It what I plan on doing with my next boat.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guess I really didnt think of gimbal mounts. Im leaning towards great lake planer with tracks mounts on 6" track. I like the idea of rigger on gimbal though

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I can't remember his name, but I have had friends talk to the guy at Traxstech....and have been told that he could mount holders on a dugout canoe if he had to....

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Nice looking boat! I would put tracks on it and put the step pads in the tracks when you are not using it for fishing. 36" track for the rigger and diver rods, and a 6" track for vertical tree further forward if it was me!

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im going to take it to jeff at traxstech and see what he thinks.
Corey, I cant run a track that length due to the beveled gunnels.
Jimmy, you know I will definitely call you. Got the kicker on and setup.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ended up going with great lakes holders made in freesoil, MI. Got them directly from them at a great deal. They are impressive. Mounting them tomorrow a.m. using their flush mounts which allow to quickly pull the 20 inch plate quickly.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My buddy and I threw them on this morning. Turned out nice. Nice setup for those who want permanent or use the flush mounts if you want to remove whenever.
0825151333a.jpg

·
Super Moderator
37,765 Posts
Sweet rig, congrats.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts