Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking to purchase a collar for my gsp lately and have run into a problem. Although I would like to get a TT collar, the budget just doesn't fit the bill. I have done a little research and came up with 3 possible choices based on my budget. I was curious if anyone has any input on these collars.

sportdog sd-400
innotek adv-1000
cabela's gs-4500
DT Systems EDT-200

·
Registered
135 Posts
I like the TT collars but since not in your budget here's my choice from your choices

Stay away from Innotek ----cabela's I believe is made by Innotek(Not sure) havn't had a Cabela's catalog in years-----So all that's left is the Sportdog collars---but I would go with the 1200 on the low or the 1800 or 2400 on the hi end.

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Go on to one of the 100 beagles boards and buy a used collar.

They are going dirt cheap for models that are only a couple years old. Due to the new ones comming out.

My tt collars are going on 6 year old and still going strong.. TT has a great service dept I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used collar.

·
Super Moderator
11,756 Posts
Howdy-

You may want to contact Thunderhead and deputy.

They tried some out a few years ago at the M-S Pig Roast out at wild bill's.... :yikes:

Luckily, I had already gone to bed, or I'd probably be able to give you a first hand impression of 'em! :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
DO a search for the collar clinic in Traverse city. THey sell recondition TT.

·
Registered
26,590 Posts
Tri-Tronics

I learned something a long time ago. If you want something, don't settle for second best, otherwise you'll be waisting your money, instead of saving it.

Had a one dog unit for sale, but am delivering it to the new owner tonight. I already have my two dog on the way (see avatar ;) )

Best of luck

·
Registered
579 Posts
Really think this over... I know a tight budget exists for must of us. My first collar was an Innotek ADV 300 because I was penny pinching. Ended up sending the piece of crap back after 2 weeks and nothing but headaches. Purchased a Tritronics and haven't had a problem since. Cost me a few extra bucks but has been totally worth it.

I've heard good things about Dogtra. I have DT launchers and like those as well. Please give it some thought.

·
Registered
625 Posts
No intention to thread-jack here but being new to the whole training thing can anyone recommend a good site regarding some instruction and the proper use of training collars? Thanks-

·
Registered
26,590 Posts
colehatch said:
No intention to thread-jack here but being new to the whole training thing can anyone recommend a good site regarding some instruction and the proper use of training collars? Thanks-
Tri Tronics sends a tape with instructions. Basically the dog should know the commands, then use the collar for reinforcement.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Long and short: There is someone who has had a bad experience with each brand. I've had 2 innoteks, and they have been excellent (one is Cabelas).

Had a DT 200 (p.o.s.) never made it to or thru a hunting season. Great warranty because they couldn't sell the p.o.s. otherwise - reputation would kill 'em.
TT may be great, but my innotek was at least $100.00 cheaper and just as good.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I'll through mine in the mix Sportdog. SD-2400 for training. I would like to get a SD-2000 for the field smaller transmitter. The customer service is by far the best that I have heard of and a lifetime warranty how can you go wrong with that.

My reciever took a puke on me about 3months ago. Granted the collar I had was a year old. Called them up, they overnighted me a new receiver and had the paperwork to send the broken onw back free of charge. I was out a collar for 16 hours and had a brand new one at the doorstep. All I needed to do was charge and set the signal.

I will continue to support Sportdog.:)

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
I have a sportdog, and the transmitter button broke. It was two years old, and I called them, and they shipped a new one right away! It was here UPS in 3 days. No Charge-sent them the old one back. Great service.

As far as the training, the intructions that come with the unit are great. Don't take any shortcuts, though. As a trainer, I have seen some dogs messed up with impatient owners. One was my neighbor. Beautiful yellow lab. The kid was chasing it, yelling his name, shocking the dog, and he ran faster away from the kid. It took me some time to convince the dog that his name didn't mean a shock, and teach the owners to read :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Go to Uplandjournal.com, they have a for sale column and I think someone had a couple of tt collars used for a nice price....

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have a Cabelas(innotek) collar and abused it for 2 years now never had any problems. I run the dog at least 5 days a week. Whats the problem everybody's had with them? The product or the customer service?

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
gitfiddler said:
Whats the problem everybody's had with them? The product or the customer service?
Both, but mainly the product (for me at least). I've never had any issue with TT, especially their service. With my case (an another fried down in Indiana), buying the Cabela's branded Innotek caused even more problems because Innotek and Cabela's kept pointing to the other guy saying it was their problem to fix. After 3 months, I just gave up and bought a TT.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts