Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I've been looking for the perfect boat layout, not satisfied yet, and was wondering if anybody has been through this and found a solution....I'm looking for a fishing layout, probably 25'-28' length, with a v-berth cabin, with an enclosed head (a must for the wife and weekends), maximum 8'6" beam so it can be towed. I can't afford to buy new, but would like something less than 15 years old. If I won the lotto, I'd get a new Grady-White 270 Islander--I've also looked at Carolina Classics, Albemarle, Tiara, Sportcraft, Pursuit, Wellcraft, Pro-Line, Trophy, Seaswirl/Striper. Don't see many, if any, of those first 3 brands used around the great lakes. I could probably spend up to $40k on a good used boat w/trailer. I want to use it for trolling out on Erie, Lake Michigan, Saginaw Bay, and fall perching in Lake St. Clair. Anybody out there know of a boat layout that I should look at, besides the ones I've mentioned? Thanks a lot for any responses!

><XXX)*>

·
Premium Member
3,836 Posts
Check out captains boat in the sell forum. SAys for sale fully rigged great lakes salmon boat if i remeber correct

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Captain,
Looks like a good deal--I was looking real hard at Wellcraft at the boat shows this last month. If it had a stand up head, I'd be arranging a look-see with you right now :)
I'm hoping for one with a stand-up head, but if I don't see one that will work by the end of the May Metro Beach boat show, and you happen to still have this one, I will probably be talking to you then. But good luck--hope you sell it faster than that!

flyingfish

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
The boys at Great Lakes Angler had a thread for a dream boat on there. I was looking around to find something that came close to what I wanted, which is just about identical to what you've said. The closest to acceptable layout that I could find was the Bayliner 289 Classic Cruiser, and the other was the SeaRay 280 Sundancer. If I could maintain the same configuration in a slightly smaller/lighter boat, it'd match my ideal great lakes boat.

http://www.bayliner.com/index.asp?display=brochure&modelid=34896&tab=1&

http://www.searay.com/index.asp?display=brochure&tab=6&modelid=34831&reqtype=1,11,9,19

They both have a v-berth, aft berth and seperate dinette/galley, in addition to the stand-up head/shower.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Tim, Niether of those really constitutes a "fishing layout". If you want to tow, and be legal(8'6"), your probably going to have to compermise. I have a 99 Seaswirl Striper 2600. I love the boat and it has most everything you wanted. The new ones have a separated head on them(mine is in the cuddy). You can find these within 5 years old for under $40K. I tow mine easily most every weekend, but have and would not want to go much bigger if you plan to tow regularly.

·
Registered
677 Posts
It is sort of dificult to find a boat made specifically for fishing with a full cabin(stand up head). There are a number of boats that would make good fishing boats(not excelent) and will be nice family boats too.

Sea Rays come to mind. You can find an older 26' with a full head and huge interior. I believe these are open in the back making them good for fishing. A lot of people in Grand Haven have boats liek these.

Another posibility would be a 24' Bayliner flybridge. As the name states, its a flybridge, so you would probably have to get a mate, but they have HUGE interiors for their size(including your stand up head). The only problem is that they are a bit top heavy and feel tippy at times...

What I would do is just go to boattraderonline.com and look up some boats that you have seen before on the water. With 40,000 you can pretty much get anything you want as long as you don't care much about age. Look ar Luhrs. They make some awesome fishing and family boats. I'll see if I can find some links for you.

·
Registered
677 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks so far to everyone,
I've been living on boattraderonline for the past few months :)
The Sea Rays are definitely in abundance around here, but just not enough of a fishing layout for me (the express might be close, but definitely not the Sundancer which seems to be popular). The Luhr looks good, although that one is too wide--but thanks anyway, that's what I was asking for--other boat models that I hadn't already looked at. I know what I'm asking for is tough to find...

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Jason, put a ring on your finger and add a couple of netters and setters to the family, and the idea of a "fishable" rig changes a little bit. I'd be willing to bet that you or I could spend a couple weeks on one of those rigs and turn them into mean fishing machines. The sundancer is screaming for a hard top and rocket launchers.

In fact, that Sundancer 260 might be just what the doctor ordered. A new one will take som additional rigging, but they look like great weekend fishing rigs.

Take away the aft berth on the 280, rearrange the seating and add a fish box, you'll have an amberjack.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I know of a 27' Baha that is in great shape, it is a 1993, with a hard top, cuddy, and a stand up head. it has 600 hrs. on the motor, boat has a rear deck you could dance on:D this boat is a fishing machine and also comfortable for the little lady.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Here call this number and ask for Jeff, talk to him about the Baha in the back of his shop, he will be able to put you in touch with the right person, also Gaitrunner has a trailer that will hall that boat.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts