Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be in Marquette and plan to camp out this Sunday and Monday and catch fish if my good fortune overcomes my lack of experience. Suggestions for camping and stream fishing from you gracious folks would be much appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
11,452 Posts
Use this as your base camp, Perkins Park. Nice, cheap campground and even hot showers available. So many streams in the area to explore. Read other threads in this forum and you will glean some info also. I know how the skeeters can be in Texas, so hopefully you won't let a few no-see-ums & skeeters get in your way of fishing/exploring. Best of luck to you!
http://www.co.marquette.mi.us/departments/planning/perkins_park/index.htm

·
Registered
11,452 Posts
Also, my friend, spool up some fresh 4lb test (something very limp like Trilene XL) on ultra-light gear. No worries, this is plenty heavy, as I and others have landed very large fish on 4lb test (or even 2-3lb test!) This way, you can drift a crawler or piece of crawler with just the hook tied to the line with no splitshot. Always try to get away with using no splitshot if you can get away with it. Only use enough shot to keep it down and use one only if you have to if the water is too fast. Most of the time, you will not even need a small splitshot. I like to use a piece of crawler instead of a worm becasue the crawler has more heft to it for casting. Remember that even if the stream is very skinny, fish it (it may get very thick, tag-alder choked thick brush, uneven ground, mucky, poisen ivy, etc...some stream trout fishing terrain here is tough & can be a workout, do not let it daunt you, go for it!). Brookies are in most streams along with rainbows and browns in a few others. Eat some trout. If you get a mixed bag, eat the rainbows first with their mild, pale flesh, then the browns with more color and taste, and then the brookies which are the best with nice pinkish meat and great flavor. You will have a hard time finding a stream in this area that does NOT have trout in it. See all of the streams on a map in that triangle between Champion, Marquette and Big Bay.....I have fished most of them and it is too bad you only have a couple of days. I hope you are able to come back again after this initial trip, this area will always be here waiting for you........and me.:)

·
Registered
11,452 Posts
...to make it natural and somewhat snagless. If this is your first crack at UP trouting, then you may have found out that it takes a bit of getting used to it. Be sure to probe every nook and cranny with your bait/lure/fly. Every log, undercut etc. "Suicide" drift that piece of crawler right into log jams (hooks are cheap). roots, waterfall pools, deep holes at bends, and practice stealth in these low and clear conditions. Do not wear brite clothing, but do wear camo or something drab/dark. These fish are spooky and preceive any movement as death from above. They can feel vibrations from heavy footsteps and I believe any talking/shouting. I hope the deer flies didn't feat on you to badly!!! I hope that you enjoyed your visit! I know we are a bit differant up hear, kinda stern and stand-offish, and we could learn a bit from you rebels about Southern hospitality, but hopefullyyou were treated well!!! Y'all come back now, y'hear!!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hope you had good luck! A lot of our water has been much too warm lately, and it's really put a damper on the fishing in some streams.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
11,452 Posts
Sounds like a had a good stay, nice secluded camp, no mention of any bear incidents, plenty of brookies, and made for a memorable trip with his daughter. Y'all come back now, y'hear!!!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts