Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a very nice set of carved decoys and can’t read the signature on them. The carvers initials are burned into the keel. JLS
IMG_5132.JPG
IMG_5132.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
27 Posts
Also, does the name Otto Misch mean anything to you? He was my dad's uncle and he has mentioned that he was a decoy carver of some sort in port Huron or Saginaw Bay area and he talks about him like Otto was well known in the duck carving community.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
So is Justin a popular or prolific carver or do you know a lot of folks in the carving business?
I do know a lot of people as a carver myself and also collector or Michigan carvers.
I will send the pics over to justin to verify as I know he has a different brand. He mainly carves goldeneye.

·
Registered
183 Posts
  1. Also, does the name Otto Misch mean anything to you? He was my dad's uncle and he has mentioned that he was a decoy carver of some sort in port Huron or Saginaw Bay area and he talks about him like Otto was well known in the duck carving community.
I am aware of an Otto Misch who lived in the Port Huron area. I am not familiar with his decoys but I saw a Great Lakes-style sneak boat he built. It is only 16 feet long, carvel planked and copper riveted. This boat has a rigid wood coaming instead of the usual canvas coaming found on most sneak boats. It is the smallest sneak boat I've seen, but the build quality is superb. A wonderful boat.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Otto had a cabin just down the road from where Winiecki's marina is now. Knew him when I was little when we were at the camp. He did make some nice gunning decoys and sneak boats.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks folks, I have been in contact with a couple carvers and they are looking into also. They like the decoys and have nothing but compliments about them but none seem to know the burned in initials and the signature isnt legible

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Th
Thanks folks, I have been in contact with a couple carvers and they are looking into also. They like the decoys and have nothing but compliments about them but none seem to know the burned in initials and the signature isnt legible

there are so many carvers in Michigan and a lot of them are pretty quiet and don’t do shows or got out of it
Meeting quite a few lately I will pass along as well

1 - 13 of 13 Posts