Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Hey everyone.

My dog got out of our yard tonight and bit a neighbor’s dog. I had to take the other dog to the emergency vet. It was a terrible human error mistake on our part, as the gate was not properly latched, and we did not realize it. My dog is a 75lb lab mix and the other dog is a Chiahuahua. Remi messed it up bad. We don't know if the other dog will live or not. This is unfortunately the second time she has bitten a neighborhood dog and it had to go to the vet too. We have been working with a dog aggression trainer since last October and Remi has responded very well, but there are so many small dogs in our neighborhood that this is just not the right environment for her.

She has a strong prey drive (she is a dog), but is very good with children and never shown any aggression towards any people. She is afraid of firecrackers and likely gun shy.

Before we have to make the very hard decision of putting her down - does anyone know of an organization or individual that might be able to take her. She is truly a good pet (loving, playful, attentive, but not overly demanding), she just cannot be around other small dogs or cats. We REALLY do not want to give her up, but our situation with the neighbors is deteriorating, as you can imagine.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Really sorry to hear that--you've got a tough decision to make.

I've had a couple recent experiences in this area:

My pointer was attacked by another dog in the neigborhood about a year ago who has a long history of aggression toward other dogs. Afterward, the owners hired an aggression trainer for both of their dogs. Last week, I spoke with another neigbor who claimed that she was attacked by one of the dogs and barely made it into her house...

My brother recently had to put his Rott down due to aggressive behaviour toward other dogs (and increasingly, people).
Afterward, he got a new Rott puppy (despite my recommendation to get a bird dog:evilsmile ) and immediately enrolled her in a puppy socialization class. He also regularly brings his pup over to my place where she romps-around with my dogs.

I don't possess enough knowlege about aggressive dogs to give you a recommendation for this one, but if worse comes-to-worse with your current dog and you wind-up with a new pup, I would suggest that you socialize the new pup as much as possible both with other dogs and people.

·
Super Moderator
11,080 Posts
Thats an awful choice.

I don't know your dog.

It may sound harsh and I don't intend it to.....if the dog was not socialized properly it is not the dogs fault, if the dog got out through an open gate who was at fault? If you didn't know the wherabouts of your dog, and he was not under your control- who was at fault?

Dog aggressive behavior is something that can be dealt with. What does your trainer think?

Sounds like your neighborhood environment is not the best, I would look to find a home where someone doesn't have a dog already, and has the time and resources to continue with addressing the dog aggressive behavior. I would talk to a few rescues and find out their opinions...I am sure taking the dog to a conventional shelter would be paramount to euthanasia.

You may find others that disagree.... but my opinion has always been that people with dogs that are aggressive towards other dogs are reponsible to either keep their dog away from other dogs, deal with the problem by behavior modification, or remove the dog from an environment where this behavior is likely to occur.

I do wish you the best, and like I said I expect you will get a wide variety of responses.

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
It depends on how much effort you are willing and able to spend on relieving the problem. Some dogs can be aggressive in certain situations but a dog leaving the yard to bite another dog may be a big job. As an owner of a dog who is not afraid to be a bitch, I try to stay aware of potential situations that could lead to trouble. Your first job is to completely secure your yard and eliminate contact with dogs in your neighborhood while you decide what to do. Another attack in your neighborhood and the decision may be made by someone else. Joel offered up some solid advice. I believe his dog was recently bit and my pup was bit today as well.

·
Registered
179 Posts
That gate must be latched at all times. Even if the dog's not aggressive, it's still a hazard to the dog's health if it gets out. It's the owner's responsibility to take the necessary precautions.

My experience with the socialization of dogs indicates to me that if they didn't get it when they were young, they may not get it later. I got both of my GSP's as rescue dogs, and they both have their little quirks, as dogs and people all do I suppose. But one of them was originally with a young guy who left her all alone all day long as a puppy, and you can see that in her now. She just doesn't respond to my other dog's clear dominance, and "forgets" her place in the pack, and gets "disciplined" once in a while, like last night for example. I had to break up a scuffle, and there was a little blood on the floor, which happens once or twice a year.

But the smaller "submissive" dog comes right back and does all the same stupid things, which the dominant animal ignores for the most part, until she finally doesn't. It just leads me to believe that proper behaviors weren't ingrained in her during puppyhood, and may never be. I sometimes call her "stupid", but she's not really stupid, she's very smart but set in some of her ways.

Anyways, I'm not certain that anger-management classes are any sure answer to things, for whatever reason. If the dog's attacking, more proactive means might be necessary. Not necessarily euthanasia, but more security for sure.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey everyone.

Well it's been an emotional roller coaster so far. We were at the vets and she said she was ok with putting Remi down for various reasons except that she didn't want to do it that day because we were very torn about it. We also got a voice mail from our trainer saying to give her two days to find a different place for her. We also got a call from a rescue saying that she should be put down while we held her head and comforted her. We are just kind of in limbo right now.

For a little more info. We got her when she was 3yrs old and we've had her a year and half now. We now believe that we weren't told the entire story about her when we got her. We also don't think that she was socialized at all when she was a pup and that's what the group training classes are/were doing. We are taking steps to making the situation better.

We are going to try to make the right decision within the next couple of days. I wanted to say thanks for everyone's input.

Joe

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We put Remi to sleep tonight around 6:00 PM and we will miss her greatly.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Sorry for your loss but I agree you made the best decision. Its not worth risking and being held liable down the road for another miscue. Get a purebred pup from a reputable breeder and by all means avoid the rots, dobermans, pits etc. Research which is best for you living situation some brd dog breeds are not good in certain situations as well.

Again sorry for your loss but it also took courage and strength to do what yuo though was right

Ganzer

·
Banned
792 Posts
I agree it sucks but you did the right thing. You would feel even worse if she bit some little kid not to mention the sue happy world we live in. Look at some pups it will take a little of the sting away. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts