Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Hey everyone.

My dog got out of our yard tonight and bit a neighbor’s dog. I had to take the other dog to the emergency vet. It was a terrible human error mistake on our part, as the gate was not properly latched, and we did not realize it. My dog is a 75lb lab mix and the other dog is a Chiahuahua. Remi messed it up bad. We don't know if the other dog will live or not. This is unfortunately the second time she has bitten a neighborhood dog and it had to go to the vet too. We have been working with a dog aggression trainer since last October and Remi has responded very well, but there are so many small dogs in our neighborhood that this is just not the right environment for her.

She has a strong prey drive (she a dog), but is very good with children and never shown any aggression towards any people. She is afraid of firecrackers and likely gun shy.

Before we have to make the very hard decision of putting her down - does anyone know of an organization or individual that might be able to take her. She is truly a good pet (loving, playful, attentive, but not overly demanding), she just cannot be around other small dogs or cats. We REALLY do not want to give her up, but our situation with the neighbors is deteriorating, as you can imagine.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I know there are several "rescue" type groups out there for various dog breeds. many of them work with owners to get their dogs placed in the "right" enviroment ie: no kids, no other dogs, etc.

I did a web search (sorry couldnt get a link to attach) for "Labradour retreiver rescue, michigan" and got several returns in the area.

Hopefully this helps you out with a tough decision,

J-

·
Registered
10,110 Posts
There is one Animal Rescue it is on Arkona rd in Sumpter twp. I believe that is the location. If you would like I will call my vet Noahs Arc on willis rd. Ask him the location of the Animal rescue and get you a number.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a black lab, and we have always had one standing rule in our household: If she bites or attacks, she must be put down. I would be heartbroken, but I would be more heartbroken if I gave her to a rescue group and she did it again. The first trainer I took my first chocolate lab to made it clear that this was rule one, and that we must be responsible as dog owners. I applaud you for trying all of the training, but make sure you aren't overlooking aggression for selfish reasons.

Good luck, and sorry to hear about your situation.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We put Remi to sleep tonight around 6:00 PM and we will miss her greatly.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Sorry for your loss. That's gotta be one of the hardest things to do. I've got four dogs, three of them little dachshunds and one boxer/shepard mix.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am very sorry for your loss. I know how devastating putting your dog down can be. I had to put down my 11 year old husky because he was sick and there was nothing else anyone could do for him. He was my best friend for 11 years....

Very sorry... :sad:

·
Registered
13,297 Posts
Sorry for your loss, had to put our choc. lab down less than a year ago. Still hurts.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Socks sorry for your loss. I had to put my first dog down (springer spaniel), when I was quite young as he got cancer and it kind of made him crazy. I know how bad it sucks. Sorry the rescue route didnt work out.

J-

·
Registered
48 Posts
Tecumseh said:
Sorry to hear about the outcome. In the long run you probably made the wise decision.
I agree, but, we have had to do it before and it is horrible. Sorry for your loss.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts