Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to Michigan and looking for somewhere to go camping (moved here a little over a year ago). I am looking for a nice creek or small river that I can fish from shore (love trout, don't mind smallmouth), has lots of nice trees to cover the campsite, and is away from most people. Last year I went to Mio Pond on the Ausable, but my wife says that we can't drive that far this year. We have a puppy that can't take the drive. I live in Ypsi. Does anyone mind letting me know about a good spot. I release every fish I catch and don't know anyone else you fishes, so don't worry about your hole being fished out. You can e-mail me if you don't want to post your secret spot. Thanks for help!
Michael
[email protected]

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
Try Bruin Lake, part of the Pinckney Recreation Area, which is a Michigan State Park.

It's about 35 minutes drive from Ypsi. Small lake (Bruin Lake) is nice for swimming and I have seen anglers on it, but have not fished there myself. It gets busy on the weekends so it's not a secret campground, but I like it. Lots of trees if you are away from the water. It's about 20 minutes from Silver Lake, Potawatomi Trail, and the rest of the very nice Pinckney Rec. Area.

See http://www.dnr.state.mi.us/ParkDetail.asp?sec=camp&LinkID=110&ParkName=&ParkSectionID=7&Keywords=&ParkID=86

Their number is (734) 426-4913.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Huron River from Dexter to Delhi Metropark is a catch and release only for smallmouth.Just get on Lower Huron Drive from Main Street in A.A. and pull over when you see a good spot. Or pay to get in a Metro Park. This should be less than a half hour from your house. Best time is sunrise and sunset. Metro Parks close just as the fish start hitting at dark, so if you go at night, park off the street. There is also a canoe livery at Delhi so you can float the entire streach. The liverey is also responsible for some prolific aluminum hatches on weekends, so go early or late if you are wading.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts