Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I case no one figured it out, I am still relatively "new" to deer hunting. I blindly walked the property I hunt looking for bedding areas today. I am clueless on what I am looking for. What to bedding areas look like and where should I be looking? Thanks!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Bedding areas will be found in the thick, nasty, thorny, hard to walk through brush / tall weeds / corn fields / cattails etc. Deer will seek out the thickest areas in their home range. Deer prefer high and dry areas but will take to wet areas if pressured. The land you hunt may not have any bedding areas.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
You want to look for oval depressions in the weeds/grass/leaves that indicate where a deer has been laying. Then you will find your bedding areas. Just looking at the cover available may hint as to what potentially could be a bedding area, but sometimes even the best looking spots aren't used depending on various factors in your area.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses. The area I hunt is surround by soybean fields on all sides but one and that is a golf course. I think they are bedding somewhere on the property I am on. Alot of tall grass that I wont walk through.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
the tall grass is likely where you will find them. I would walk it. maybe with some friends.
I agree that the tall grass is the likely bedding area. The back 6 acres of my property is tall grass (about 5 feet tall) next to a cut soybean field (22 acres) surrounded by hedge rows. The opposite side of the soybean field has a small gnarly/thorny woodlot (about 6 acres also). I've got a ground blind in the hedge row about 1/2 way between the two. I leave the grass as their sanctuary. Today, I watched 12 does pile out of the grass, nothing out of the woods....but I was waiting for antlers.

·
Registered
63 Posts
A great time of year to scout and look for bedding areas is winter when there is snow on the ground. You can pick up a well used trail easier and find the melted spots that they rest. They may not be the same spots they use all year but if it is southern michigan farm county more than likely it is.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts