Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a group of guys looking on going for a weekend trip ice fishing but have know idea on a good spot. I don't expect much of a responce but thuoght I would try for some help. You can PM me with any advice on a spot that would be great. Thanks, Kevin

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Go out of Metro Park and you'll see all kinds of guys fishing out there. Find a spot not too close to another guy and make a hole or better yet, use an existing hole.

·
Registered
13,297 Posts
I do like the title of the thread. Help me find a hole....:lol: Well I had one but all the ice around it melted.....so now I can't find it.......:lol::evil::lol:

Lots of reports last year about Metro.....

·
Registered
476 Posts
Give us a little more detail. What do you want to fish for, when do you plan on going? That sort of thing.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Read again and see that you are looking to go on a weekend trip. For Michigan you can go to Saginaw Bay. For Canada it's hard to beat Lake Simcoe.

Do a search for a guide on either body of water and they should be able to tell you where to stay and get you on the fish.

·
Registered
21 Posts
As one guy asked when do you wont to go ???? that makes a big defferance on where to go ! There are hundreds of places to hit some better than others . houghton lake is good but you need a ride on the lake to get to most . As another gental man said higgins lake is great !!! then the saginaw bay is goood also . you could try some of the smaller lakes around too . i would get a county map book and the start calling sporting goods shops in the area you think you might wont to try !!! A little leg work goes a long way and you will find that most will help you out !!! Good luck in your quest for a hole!!!!!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found a hole!!! We are heading to Otsego Lake 3rd weekend of January. If any one has any pointers I would love to hear them althought I don't axpect much. Feel free PM me if you don't want your pointers made public.I will be targeting perch or any toher pan fish and would like to catch some Walleye but I have never ice fished for them. I just bought a Vexilar so hopefully it helps me out. Best of luck to all of you this season and be safe as always.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I use google earth to scout a lake that i'm not familiar with. The satellite photos make it easy to find the drop offs, shallow flats, etc. You can even get gps coordinates on spots you click on.

Generally i've found that areas less than 8-10' deep show up like light colored islands vs. the dark color of the deeper water.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Smelt fishing on Higgins Lake has become very popular, and you can use some of the smelt for lakers and pike. Theres also perch and whitefish.
Do a search, theres a lot of threads from last year.......In fact I think an M.S. outing is in the works. Motels and cottages are available.

Hey Swampbuck can't agree with you more about Higgins Lake. When you pick a date let us all know.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts