Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if any of you guys could give me an idea as to what is wrong with my motor. I have a mid 80's 60 hp mariner outboard. For some reason as soon as i get about half throttle it gets to almost the same exact point every time and then dies. Even if i throttle up very slowly i mopve the trhottle even a 1/8" more and it dies. It throttles up fine in neural. But it also dies in reverse at almost the same place. Ive talked to several people and thaey all have their reasonable guess but im not sure where to start. Figured someone here may be a boat mechanic or had the same issue. Thanks in advance for any help!

· Registered
3,562 Posts
Have to say carb myself.I would mark when ajustment are set so i could bring them back to that point.We had same problem last yr.Every once in a while some adjustment comes loose and we have to bring it back to 2 oclock.Then it runs great.Before u do anything look around to see if anything is loose,Mich

· Registered
151 Posts
I have the Mariner 60hp and jus the last couple of days when I open her up she will run for thirty seconds or so and stall out. So I sit there and try and start her again and do it all over. Then after about three cycles of this she is good to go and runs great till I turn her off again. Any one have any ideas out there? I am by no means mechanically inclined.

· Registered
4,627 Posts
sounds like maybe the primer bulb if the check valve lets fuel run back to the tank the engine looses its prime and it takes time for the fuel pump to catch up sometimes the heat from the sun will expand the gas in the bulb and turn to vapor

· Registered
44 Posts
Jiggineyes,
Sounds like an vac leak (air leak). usually once you get to half throtle your second carb is now feeding the cylinders. I had that problem with a v-6 evenrude 150. try stuffing a rag in the air intake for the second carb or somehow block the airflow.

Cooper95b,
sounds like the engine is running what fuel is in the bowl of the carb and not picking up more. Make sure all your fuel lines are clean, make sure there is noting sitting on the supply line, and yes the primer ball could have a crack in it not letting the motor keep a vac on the fuel.
Start with simplest of things.

· Registered
3,562 Posts
fla_cracker said:
Jiggineyes,
Sounds like an vac leak (air leak). usually once you get to half throtle your second carb is now feeding the cylinders. I had that problem with a v-6 evenrude 150. try stuffing a rag in the air intake for the second carb or somehow block the airflow.

Cooper95b,
sounds like the engine is running what fuel is in the bowl of the carb and not picking up more. Make sure all your fuel lines are clean, make sure there is noting sitting on the supply line, and yes the primer ball could have a crack in it not letting the motor keep a vac on the fuel.
Start with simplest of things.
Was wondering why we had to question in 1 post ? Cooper make new post if ya like;) Mich

· Registered
151 Posts
Thanks! I am no means an wrench turning type of guy and appreciate the possible solutions to the "GRRRR" problem!

· Registered
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I checked the spark on the cylinders today.It seems like they are all firing but the top one looks really clean compared to the other 2.May not be firing all the time. I am gonna swap out that coil and then look into the carb. Thanks again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.