Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I hope someone out there can give me a suggestion before I start digging into a computer glitch I had this morning. I don't think it's a major problem but at this point, I don't know where to start.

Actually on Jan 01, 03 I upgraded from Windows 98 to Windows XP home edition. The upgrade went very smoothly with no problems and I've been COMPLETELY satisfied with XP to this point. I've really had no trouble with it at all. Last night I finished with the computer for the day and shut down. I got up this morning and fired up the machine and bootup seemed normal for the first part. But where I normally get the screen to select bootup in XP or 98 nothing was happening. The screen was just black. After about 90 seconds or so, I got this message

Windows unable to start because the following file is corrupt or missing - \system\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

At that point, I hit enter and the bootup selection screen came up and I selected to boot up in 98 mode and everything seems to be working. (that's the only way I could get on to post this)

I'm not sure how to proceed from this point. It's been so long since I've dealt with any XP installation issues that I'm kind of lost. Is there a way to just select individual files to install or a way to just do a reinstall of XP that would solve the problem ?

I guess I'll just start digging and see if I can figure it out. Hopefully I'll still be able to log on through 98 and have contact here. I'll check back later if I don't figure it out.

Thanks so much in advance for any input you may have.

John

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
jpollman,

Do a search for that file on your hard drive, you might have a second copy of it in the install files or in cache, if so, you may be able to copy and paste the good over the bad and fix it, if not, then I would simply reinstall XP which should give you the option to repair the installation...this way you do not lose any data..

Hope this helps...

Checked mine...I have the one where it belongs, one in Cache, and one on my Second drive that contains nothing but the installation files..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts