Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about a new 16" AR / M4 carbine - want the collapsible stock for storage and transport, not sure yet about the upper. I like the Bushy 'Optics Ready Carbine' with no sights but also am thinking of an A3 removeable handle. [Could always add the extra upper later.]

Not going to build my own - already have a heavy stock Bushy lower and 2 uppers for highpower and varmint use.

Would probably use most for shorter range plinking but I want to be able to make a 200M shot if needed. I have a Bushy 2-stage 'DCM' trigger waiting to go in, would float the handguard if needed after the fact.

Open to other brands as long as the trigger and magazines are the same.
Neighbor is FFL so not asking for prices/deals - just likes and dislikes.

Who wants what? :D

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
jmoser said:
Thinking about a new 16" AR / M4 carbine - want the collapsible stock for storage and transport, not sure yet about the upper. I like the Bushy 'Optics Ready Carbine' with no sights but also am thinking of an A3 removeable handle. [Could always add the extra upper later.]

Not going to build my own - already have a heavy stock Bushy lower and 2 uppers for highpower and varmint use.

Would probably use most for shorter range plinking but I want to be able to make a 200M shot if needed. I have a Bushy 2-stage 'DCM' trigger waiting to go in, would float the handguard if needed after the fact.

More answers than questions .Here http://www.ar15.com/forums/board.html?b=3http://www.ar15.com

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
jmoser said:

How much you want to spend $700-$4000 with optics depending what yo want.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
jmoser said:

the collapsible stock offers better adj to fit each shooter ie armor heavy clothes etc. summer winter and offers a shorter indoor fighting platform, the a3 is a good bet to go with

avoid the 2 stage trigger for rough use. duty and rapid assulat etc... i see more 2 stage triggers go TU in classes than any other serious gun single stage. hunter gun long range varmits 300 and out 2 stage. free float not needed unless your really looking for sub minute angle shooters in several classes i have taken we have made hits to 400 yds on humanoid targets with aimpoints and eotechs without issue using single stage triggers

bushy is ok make sure yuo at once restake the carrier key they suck. i have 10 differnt ars in my safe all makes and brands from colt stag, lmt, bushy, rra, troy. RRA is good stag is good as well and have better stakes I avoid bushy latley have been seeing lots of issues with them in classes were guns get run hard, i avoid dpms as well there guns have bad chambers many marked 5.56 are really 223 and need reaming. to 5.56 specs if using mil surp ammo
I shoot use many of them from yotes to classes to work and so fourth i grab my rra or my colt or my troy custon gun....

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Deputy - the collapsible stock makes it great for my wife and kids to use with LOP adjustment, another reason I wanted that design.

Had not heard of the carrier key issue - will check with my smith friends and see what the story is on the 2 uppers I have now.

The Bushy DCM 2-stage is a pretty robust design - it uses a 'Vlier' style spring loaded screw on the trigger pivot pin to load the other stage - I don't see how it could cause a failure to function but will take a closer look - if the plunger jams or spring breaks you should still be able to break the sear with appropriate trigger force. Neat design also has overtravel set screw in the same pin.

Looks like the ORC is mine for $870 out the door, hope to order tomorrow. I will add an auxiliary A3 upper later.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
dcm type triggers are bad choice for plinker/fighting/hunting carbines.

i see at least 1 break almost per every class.... when you shoot 500-1000 rounds per day or almost 2k in a 3 day class they break..

if it s play gun stay with a single stage it wil lbreak in and get better.

I have yet to repalce a single stage in any of my serious gun... some over 50k rounds in a gun.

I bet at least one breaks this weekend in the carbine class I have going saturday.

last time it was a jard that died at 200 rounds....

check the carrier keys, look at the hex screws on top of the bolt were the gas key is attached.

they should be heavily staked and by heavily staked i mean like this

that is what a proper soild stake will look like and will never ever vibrate loose

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Deputy

Have you ever used the BCM Extractor Spring Upgrade Kit?Which bolt and carriers do you have the best luck with?Also shooting that many rounds do you use a chrome bolt and carrier?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I run wolff upgraded springs on my extacors and crane o rings. with a high density insert(black not blue)

I run MPI bolt carriers and bolts in a few guns and standard off thes helf came with the gun ones no issues yet with either, also I run a lmt enhanced bolt and carrier group as a spare in my kit bag.

as for chromed bolt carriers and such nah i have yet to see a need for them I teach about 10 carbine classes year and take at least 2 each year... i have yet to see a reason or need for one...

your mileage may vary though as long as it works ok then.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the pix Dep - will check them out and redo as needed. If I can back them out some red loctite may be in order too!

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
good stuff, high heat over time will work on the red i highly recommend if you own a few ars and your buddies get one of neds moacks or mini moacks staking tools

1 - 11 of 11 Posts