Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone in the UP and Canada must be preparing to go to Florida. This time of year provides the best fishing opportunities and no one is reporting their success/failures. I'm visiting the Sault again next week and am interested in getting newer reports from the US side. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Dude give it a rest! It's a small fishery with super limited shore fishing options. People aren't going to post. Doesn't mean nothing is happening and everyone is moving to florida...

How did the pike fishing spot I drew you a map to work out! I've got good money on you never fishing it! How about you go up, fish all week, and then let us know what you used, where you were a d what you caught?
Good luck chief!

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Dude give it a rest! It's a small fishery with super limited shore fishing options. People aren't going to post. Doesn't mean nothing is happening and everyone is moving to florida...

How did the pike fishing spot I drew you a map to work out! I've got good money on you never fishing it! How about you go up, fish all week, and then let us know what you used, where you were a d what you caught?
Good luck chief!
Maple
Quit getting your underware all bunched up. I have been up there twice so far and am going up again next week. NO, I didn't fish your pike cove cuz we were fishing salmon exclusively. Sept. and Oct. are all about salmon although they had a good size bass tourny. when I was there. Yes, I caught salmon and reported it to people using a PM. Will be fishing superior coho trolling and casting in the rivers if they get rain and whitefish and St. Mary's atlantics along with pinks on my next outing. If you notice I provide detail about fishing area's on the St. Marys but don't reveal how and what to use. In my post I was asking for general information regarding fishing status. Things like, catching a few pinks, trollers are taking kings in front of the Garden, catching a few atlantics trolling along the clay banks. We know those areas like the back of my hand and know what to do to catch them. We don't need to steal any ones honey holes because if they are on the St Marys We already know them. I fish with people that have fished those waters for over 40 years, fishing almost daily in season and believe me they know what to do. You must be having a bad day or got skunked on your outing. That may explain your sarcasm.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Maple
Quit getting your underware all bunched up. I have been up there twice so far and am going up again next week. NO, I didn't fish your pike cove cuz we were fishing salmon exclusively. Sept. and Oct. are all about salmon although they had a good size bass tourny. when I was there. Yes, I caught salmon and reported it to people using a PM. Will be fishing superior coho trolling and casting in the rivers if they get rain and whitefish and St. Mary's atlantics along with pinks on my next outing. If you notice I provide detail about fishing area's on the St. Marys but don't reveal how and what to use. In my post I was asking for general information regarding fishing status. Things like, catching a few pinks, trollers are taking kings in front of the Garden, catching a few atlantics trolling along the clay banks. We know those areas like the back of my hand and know what to do to catch them. We don't need to steal any ones honey holes because if they are on the St Marys We already know them. I fish with people that have fished those waters for over 40 years, fishing almost daily in season and believe me they know what to do. You must be having a bad day or got skunked on your outing. That may explain your sarcasm.
Short are just fine mr Casey. Thanks. Not upset at all, just not sure why your asking for specifics on a forum if you have so much experience and local knowledge? Just not sure why you think because noone is posting that must mean things are terrible. Would love a PM when you get back on your success.

Ps... I dont get skunked up there. If i have too I'd just resort to resident bows and do away with that! No sarcasm either just confused I guess...

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Short are just fine mr Casey. Thanks. Not upset at all, just not sure why your asking for specifics on a forum if you have so much experience and local knowledge? Just not sure why you think because noone is posting that must mean things are terrible. Would love a PM when you get back on your success.

Ps... I dont get skunked up there. If i have too I'd just resort to resident bows and do away with that! No sarcasm either just confused I guess...
Not hard to get confused with flash Gordo. He has a history of talking in circles. Funny he creates a post asking for info, then when you question him he says he gives out info through pm's .:banghead3:banghead3:banghead3

·
Premium Member
2,019 Posts
Wrote this in the Cold Water Pier/Surf Reports thread:

1”+ rain Sunday, NW blow somewhat Monday...should turn the beacon back on?

should be true in da U.P., too, eh? Doesn't sound like low water levels will be a problem anywhere and my long range forecast shows highs in the 60s for quite a while. I'm thinking lagoons will start holding a few fish, slow but steady-like (and lagoons will have enough depth to be both easy to fish; and fish like holding in deep water).

I expect to kind of fish my way out to the west end to hit my favorite Brookie segment for the Closer, as usual, then run up to Superior for a day on the 1st before then settling into a job around Munising till the snow comes. Should be some new streams for me to learn around there and I hope the Splake regs match up with being able to catch one from shore while I am there, but I dunno on that.

Read that there is a new warm-water "Blob" forming in the north Pacific; that can easily push up on the Jet Stream which in turn makes it plunge somewhere else...could make for a white-ish October for us.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Even in "mentionables" we are asked to not give out specific hole or run info but one of the previous posts is clearly ignoring that forum rule. The worst part is that some folks do it regularly and become indignant when called out for doing so. Whoever you are, please just quietly enjoy your honey holes without namedropping specific areas. Thank you. FM

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Even in "mentionables" we are asked to not give out specific hole or run info but one of the previous posts is clearly ignoring that forum rule. The worst part is that some folks do it regularly and become indignant when called out for doing so. Whoever you are, please just quietly enjoy your honey holes without namedropping specific areas. Thank you. FM
Forest, if your talking about me I don't believe I mentioned any specific honey holes. The clay banks are at least 1/2 mile long, the mouth of the garden area is at least 2 miles long. If your fishing the mouth proper your standing on a sand discharge. Is it wrong to mention the Edison, or the Canadian power plant or the base of the rapids, or the American and Canadian holes in the rapids, or the inside berm??? Just a civil question. You know those areas I'm talking about, don't you live in the Sault.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Forest, if your talking about me I don't believe I mentioned any specific honey holes. The clay banks are at least 1/2 mile long, the mouth of the garden area is at least 2 miles long. If your fishing the mouth proper your standing on a sand discharge. Is it wrong to mention the Edison, or the Canadian power plant or the base of the rapids, or the American and Canadian holes in the rapids, or the inside berm??? Just a civil question. You know those areas I'm talking about, don't you live in the Sault.
And therein may lie the heart of the issue.

If I may quote myself "we are asked not to give out specific hole or run info". Yes, I live in the Sault, and yes I know many of those areas and yes each and every place mentioned is quite specific. I would wager that a lot of folks would agree with me too. Think about it, mention the majority of the alleged nonspecific areas above to about any fisherman and whether or not they have ever been to the area I bet he or she could easily key in on the vast majority of them PDQ if they so desired even though they ARE NOT very large.

Whether or not a specific area is large or small it should not matter anyway. In an effort to follow forum rules AND etiquette the majority of the contributors here do not mention them. As for a certain river with a mouth "at least two miles long". Holy Wah! We fishermen have been known to exaggerate a wee bit on occasion but two miles is twice as large as the distance across the mouth of the St. Mary's at Detour!

Also, some folks on this website fish the mouths and lower rivers in Ontario north of SSM, Ontario. Would mentioning small (or half mile long to two mile long stretches) of rivers and streams that get seasonal fish runs be publicly exposing a honey hole or specific area? I believe it would and although I am not aware of any forum rule against revealing specific holes and runs in Canadian rivers, and in spite of the fact I have not fished that area in years nor do I plan to any time soon, respect for my fellow fisherman AND good manners have so far kept me from revealing names and areas.

Once again I ask; please, please, please, can we all just enjoy our fishing holes without namedropping specific areas. Thank you. FM

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
And therein may lie the heart of the issue.

If I may quote myself "we are asked not to give out specific hole or run info". Yes, I live in the Sault, and yes I know many of those areas and yes each and every place mentioned is quite specific. I would wager that a lot of folks would agree with me too. Think about it, mention the majority of the alleged nonspecific areas above to about any fisherman and whether or not they have ever been to the area I bet he or she could easily key in on the vast majority of them PDQ if they so desired even though they ARE NOT very large.

Whether or not a specific area is large or small it should not matter anyway. In an effort to follow forum rules AND etiquette the majority of the contributors here do not mention them. As for a certain river with a mouth "at least two miles long". Holy Wah! We fishermen have been known to exaggerate a wee bit on occasion but two miles is twice as large as the distance across the mouth of the St. Mary's at Detour!

Also, some folks on this website fish the mouths and lower rivers in Ontario north of SSM, Ontario. Would mentioning small (or half mile long to two mile long stretches) of rivers and streams that get seasonal fish runs be publicly exposing a honey hole or specific area? I believe it would and although I am not aware of any forum rule against revealing specific holes and runs in Canadian rivers, and in spite of the fact I have not fished that area in years nor do I plan to any time soon, respect for my fellow fisherman AND good manners have so far kept me from revealing names and areas.

Once again I ask; please, please, please, can we all just enjoy our fishing holes without namedropping specific areas. Thank you. FM
Forest
I'm just going to make one more specific comment and then end it. I enjoy sharing general information about an area where I fish, the water is public and people that are new to the area should be able to enjoy what is available. Every thing I say can be found at any bait shop and on face book with pictures, techniques and picture locations along with guide information, John Guilani used to have full page articles in the Detroit paper.. If you know the area, which you do, it's basic knowledge that when you say the mouth of the Garden it's assumed your talking up and down the river from Ben's about a 2 mile stretch. I could have worded it different but you knew what I meant and twisted it a little bit in your rebuttal. Is this UP forum treated differently than the others on the web site??? The Saginaw Bay forum provides extreme information like depth, speed, color and GPS coordinates on both the bay and river. The info. on the AuSable gives holes and techniques as does the Manistee river systems. I understand you can post general information regarding the St. Marys but based on your comments am I limited to say.................Fished on the St. Marys, caught fish and had a nice time. I know and understand that UP'ers are protective of their river systems but this is the St.Marys, longer and wider than the Saginaw river system. Most of what I reported was Canadian waters, are these exempt???. We are not talking streams and creeks here which I agree should be protected. Lastly, I may add that the St. Marys river system never has any heavy fishing pressure, especially now that the salmon run has crashed. In the future I will pay more attention to what I report.

·
Registered
217 Posts
these posts make me giggle . We will post a fishing report later this week on Superior Outfitters. For all you downstate folks who are worried about lack of reports or bad fishing, give us a call. This is the best time of year to start fishing in the UP and it will only get better as winter progresses.

·
Registered
13,482 Posts
From what I've seen of Gordon Casey, on other forums on this site, he just tends to stir up controversy wherever he goes. I'm kind of an ornery old Cuss, but I just don't have the energy to drive a lot of controversy all of the time. But that's me. ;)

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To say the St. Mary's river system never has any pressure is a joke. Must have never had to wait for a spot at the powerhouse because every turbine was taken.
Yes, I agree with you about fishing the turbine outlets at the Edison or even the wall along side the Edison. This was about 10/15 years ago when the salmon were all over the place. Even then if you troll there was plenty of water to chase the fish. On the Canadian, where I do about 90% of my fishing there was never a issue with over crowding, both shore, rapids and boat fishing. Today take you pick as to what tunnel you want. The wall at the powerplant is off limits , the pier at the valley camp is closed. The only place to fish is the boat marina. The wall at the Edison is just one small area you have available to you if you have a boat. I noticed this year the boaters are anchoring about 30 yards off the tunnel openings and now there are double the space to fish.

·
Premium Member
2,019 Posts
24E12783-51DB-4598-AED8-7D6BF27F8914.jpeg
The beacon is lit and they’re minty fresh. Gave away a 3rd one. One hour in a lagoon.

They still likee the worms. If you might be trying for a few Brookies over these last two days of the season, you might wanna use a rod with some backbone, in close to Superior.

Maybe a fresh batch will come in tonight.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
View attachment 436919 The beacon is lit and they’re minty fresh. Gave away a 3rd one. One hour in a lagoon.

They still likee the worms. If you might be trying for a few Brookies over these last two days of the season, you might wanna use a rod with some backbone, in close to Superior.

Maybe a fresh batch will come in tonight.
Sweet coho's!!! Yup, your right those superior coho's sure love night crawlers. I will be going up soon, will report my luck or no luck. Superior tribs in Canada will be heating up soon, some rushes have already started. Pods have been charted at GrosCap along the break. It's a party when the pods are there and they are hungry. Thanks BJ for reporting.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Finally got s chance to fish for a few hours behind the power plant.

Trolled mid afternoon on Friday, only saw two other boats. Hooked a screamer on a three color leadcore but didn’t stay hooked

Had to cut the trip short as had another commitment and couldn’t get out again due to high winds Saturday. Nice day today but had to head back to reality

Hope to get back in a couple weeks so will keep y’all posted on results

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Finally got s chance to fish for a few hours behind the power plant.

Trolled mid afternoon on Friday, only saw two other boats. Hooked a screamer on a three color leadcore but didn’t stay hooked

Had to cut the trip short as had another commitment and couldn’t get out again due to high winds Saturday. Nice day today but had to head back to reality

Hope to get back in a couple weeks so will keep y’all posted on results
Still
Good that you had some time on the water. Right now is the peak, leaning towards the end. In a few weeks most pacific salmon will be just about finished. There will be a few Atlantics left in the lower river. The tribs. flowing into superior in Canada will have good supply of coho, casting at the mouths is also a good bet. Whitefish should be at the Edison and in the upper river.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hit the powerhouse for a couple of hours Friday, a few fish rolling.
I tried every type and color of spoon, spinners and deep crankbaits casting and trolled a bit. Nothing!

I saw a few whitefish get landed by the two boats tied up to the Edison but I had no gear for that type of fishing.

I’ve always done well in fall just casting around the structure.

I’m definitely doing something wrong this year. 0-2 trips

1 - 20 of 20 Posts