Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't been on the forum since last year so Happy New Year to everyone.. Looks like some nice changes. I'm not sure what the winter is shaping up like down there but it is certainly slow getting started here.

We have been out testing what ice the is on Lake Simcoe and Couchiching. We just finished Bay of Quinte. I suspect ice on LSC is going to be sparse this year so there may be a few more than normal travelling northward, particularly with a $.70 dollar. I'll tried to keep you up to date on the current conditions. Here is the test from Simcoe / Couchiching

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Hopefully Cook's Bay holds its skim ice, John. Except for Mitchell's Bay in the NE corner of LSC, we have no skim and are starting from scratch this week. However, this time the cold weather looks to be sustained. How long will it take to get the ice road to Georgina if we get the cold that's forecast and not too much snow?

PS- nice drone video of Cook's earlier this week. It's rare that you see that much clear ice with no snow cover. It looked like calm water almost. You could see right to bottom all over- very cool!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hopefully Cook's Bay holds its skim ice, John. Except for Mitchell's Bay in the NE corner of LSC, we have no skim and are starting from scratch this week. However, this time the cold weather looks to be sustained. How long will it take to get the ice road to Georgina if we get the cold that's forecast and not too much snow?

PS- nice drone video of Cook's earlier this week. It's rare that you see that much clear ice with no snow cover. It looked like calm water almost. You could see right to bottom all over- very cool!
I think if we do get the cold weather predicted it should only take a week to make the ice where the road goes passable for machines but probably not cars for a while.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Thanks for posting, and I loved the aerials. You sure do live in a beautiful area. My wife and I decided to head up there in the summer with the kids. We had a great time on the water and in the Orillia. We managed some fishing on Couchiching and had a pretty good haul.
We returned a month later for Boots and Hearts Country Music Festival, which I know a lot of the locals opposed. But aside from some moron trying to jump off the stage it seemed pretty well organized for having 40,000 people in one small spot.

We are hoping to try the ice later this year. Thanks for bringing back some great memories.
Water Sky Vertebrate Sunglasses Goggles

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for posting, and I loved the aerials. You sure do live in a beautiful area. My wife and I decided to head up there in the summer with the kids. We had a great time on the water and in the Orillia. We managed some fishing on Couchiching and had a pretty good haul.
We returned a month later for Boots and Hearts Country Music Festival, which I know a lot of the locals opposed. But aside from some moron trying to jump off the stage it seemed pretty well organized for having 40,000 people in one small spot.

We are hoping to try the ice later this year. Thanks for bringing back some great memories.
View attachment 201764
Glad you had a good time. I live in Orillia! The Boots and Hearts Festival was incredible and we even had a tournament where we teamed up with the performers. I was the media boat with Dave Mercer. They actually produced a TV show about the tournament. Here is a picture of Maddie and Tae catching a close to 6 pound smallmouth.

Brad Pasley at the concert later on

1 - 8 of 8 Posts