Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my Labor Day Weekend was filled with salmon fishin below the Homestead Dam on the Betsie. The river had plenty of fish. I think from friday till monday i landed a total of 8 fish in the mouth. During the day wed hook a few but if you want to have a blast wait for the crowds to fade out and the sun to go down and bust out the lantern. We didnt night fish enough but when we did, fish were everywhere and hammering flies. Yarn and egg sucking leeches were the ticket. At night our rods were almost gettin ripped from our hands. In three hours of night fishing me and my two friends hooked around ten fish in the mouth and beached five. That was our good day. All fish were fresh and full of piss and vinegar. Here are some pics, a little blurry due to the camera gettin dropped and some fish were released without a pic but here are a few

me and JJ with nice fish

the night time is the right time!

yet another

Had to keep this one for some bait and meat

·
Registered
299 Posts
awesome report nice fish too

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
flyrod4steelhead:
friday the river had a nice tint to it but it cleared up as the days went on. My friends uncle is one of those guys you would call a local and he said hes never seen this many fish in the river this early. A TON of fish went over the dam. During the day they holed up but once that sun got down fish came out of nowhere.....lots of them. A few ran into me in the middle of the night and i nearly soiled myself:eek: I heard betsie bay had a lot of fish in it too. There will for sure be fish spread out in the system when ur there

·
Registered
316 Posts
16 days until vacation!!!!!! holy moly hurry up! looks like an excellent time

·
Registered
11 Posts
Any new news on the Betsie for this weekend? Heading down that way on Sunday night and hope to find all the fish well and ready to put up a good fight.:D

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Tyin-Flies,

I have not been up there yet this fall, but I am pretty sure that you "should'nt be disapointed in the fish. There probally is not big number's in there, but the Betsie usually does not peak until around 2nd-3rd of this month. At least, that is what I have found IMO.

Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts