Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Worked great at end of last season. Stored it real well in plastic bag and original box. Pulled it out and cranked it up. Started almost immediatly.............then.....................the heating element started to flutter and spit, then the flame started to flutter, then the flame went out, and that was it. Restarted it, and evrything was fine, until the fluttering started again and the same result occured. My son said he blew his out with a air hose at work because he had a problem,and it worked fine after that. tried that with small compressure and it worked...........so I thought...........cranked it up couple days later and same thing........flutter,flutter and flame out. Buddy has a stronger air hose, gonna try that, but in the mean time, any thoughts on this problem. Unit is 2 years old.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Do you use a fuel filter with your heater? I've had my heater for 4 years now (always used a filter) and I leave it exposed in my garage to saw dust, & polyurethane sprays and never had an issue...I clean it each season and it works great...If I had to guess I'd say maybe you got some dirty propane and something is clogged?....

but on another note is your garage heated? if No then try taking it in the house for a few hours and let it warm to room temp then see if it still spits and sputters out.....

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
I assume this is the buddy heater. If so, remove the wire grating on the front, then lay the unit on its back so the tile is pointing up. On the very bottom of the heater youll see single hex head screw. Remove that screw and the entire tile will come out. Blow air through the bottom of the tube that feeds the tile to be sure its all clear in there. Then blow out the pilot area really well. Also, below where the pilot flame burns is a small hole. Youll have to look through the grating on the front of the unit. I blew air through there to make sure that was clear. Reassembled and its good to go again. Ive done this on two of my heaters with succsess. If that doesnt work you may need to get a new pilot assembly. I remember reading that when i trouble shot mine.

Hope that works...good luck to ya....Adam

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
I had something like that happen on my el cheapo propane heater. It was the thermocouple. To fix it I adjusted it inwards so it would get more heat from the flame. There wasn't enough heat on it initially so the thing thinks the flame went out and shuts off the gas. could also be the thermocouple is bad....that is if your's has one.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I assume this is the buddy heater. If so, remove the wire grating on the front, then lay the unit on its back so the tile is pointing up. On the very bottom of the heater youll see single hex head screw. Remove that screw and the entire tile will come out. Blow air through the bottom of the tube that feeds the tile to be sure its all clear in there. Then blow out the pilot area really well. Also, below where the pilot flame burns is a small hole. Youll have to look through the grating on the front of the unit. I blew air through there to make sure that was clear. Reassembled and its good to go again. Ive done this on two of my heaters with succsess. If that doesnt work you may need to get a new pilot assembly. I remember reading that when i trouble shot mine.

Hope that works...good luck to ya....Adam
This is what you need to do. I had the same problem, when dust and/or condensation got into mine. I found that when I was in the shanty and this didn't work I just stuck a knife in there and that worked to deflect the gas.

·
Registered
381 Posts
another idea is to clean the pilot hole with a q tip or pipe cleaner, then blow it out again. the smallest peice of dust or dirt will throw the flame off so it doesnt hit the thermocoupler just right. i had the smae problem with mine and it took me 3 times of doing this to clean it out right. i only use the 1 lb propain tanks with mine so i dont need the filter, but if you use the bigger tanks with a hose you may have a dirty line like metioned earlier.

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
Just be careful sticking anything in that pilot hole as you can damage that ruby in there and mess it up for good. They recommend using a vaccuume or air pressure.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The unit is a Dyna-Glo. It's not a Mr. Buddy, but at $80 (got it for 40) It's not a cheap unit. What I don't get is the fact that it worked fine when I stored it for the summer. Everything, unit, hose and filter all wrapped and sealed to insure no clogging problems. So much for that effort. Always used a filter when hooked to my 5 gal. tank. Tried it without filter, thiking filter was at fault, still did not work. One last effort before getting into suggestions from you guys,(which is greatly appreciated) is to put on a cannister and see what happens. Maybe it's the hose. The hose is the only thing that is a constant that I haven't tried to do without. I have a Mr. Heater unit that attachs to the tank and it works fine,to fine in fact. Way to hot, even when set on low. Parts of my snow pants are on the shield. Don't want it to touch the shanty material, got enough holes from mice. Will keep posting results, may help some other member down the line.

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
If memory serves me correct, thats basically the same as a buddy heater. If that 1# LP tank dont do it and the pilot and orfis is all clean then i almost thing you have faulty parts. After all, youve done about all you can do. Good luck, i hope it works.

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
Also I clean the pilot supply tube twice a season with a q-tip soaked in rubbing alcohol. Your supply tube might be dirty too, very easy to do. Just remove the grating and run the q-tip down the brass pilot supply tube.

Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What a relief. Put a 1lb. cannister on my heater and it works. Kept checking it at different times, and it worked every time. So it looks like the problem is either the tank itself or the hose. Don't know how I will check to find the problem,but I'll figure something out. As stated before, a Mr. Heater works just fine on the tank, and the tank was used in the summer on the Bar-BQ, so that leaves the hose???????????????? Nice to know the heater will not have to be replaced. Thanks to all for the suggestions given. Helping one another is what's it's all about. Thanks again.

·
Registered
483 Posts
What a relief. Put a 1lb. cannister on my heater and it works. Kept checking it at different times, and it worked every time. So it looks like the problem is either the tank itself or the hose. Don't know how I will check to find the problem,but I'll figure something out. As stated before, a Mr. Heater works just fine on the tank, and the tank was used in the summer on the Bar-BQ, so that leaves the hose???????????????? Nice to know the heater will not have to be replaced. Thanks to all for the suggestions given. Helping one another is what's it's all about. Thanks again.

I have had two buddy heaters and both worked fine until I started to use the extended hose with a larger tank. Over the summer condensation builds up in the hose resulting in moister in the lines. Had to have both of mine worked on by someone who really knew what they were doing. My suggestion would be to get a new hose, do not use the filter and turn the heater off at the tank and let it burn out to reduce the pressure in the hose (this is a must).:fish:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Do you have fuel in the tank? Try a full tank and see if that helps.

D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts