Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are you using for a heater in your portable style blinds? I want to take my 7yr old daughter with me this weekend out to my lease. I have stands but no ladder stands to sit two. So I went and bought a Portable Blind from Bass Pro today.
What works the best for scent and noise? I'm only gonna sit a few hrs and she is gonna wear her snow suit for sledding but I wanna try to make it comfortable for her.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Nothing better than the MR. Heater portable heaters. No noise, no scent. I would opt for the Base Camp heater. Easy to carry, easy to light, puts out enough heat for a pop-up blind to stay warm. Look at Menard's for a good price. Best to you and your daughter.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
the mr buddie heaters work great,will probably roast you out on low.they use the 1lb bottles.they also make a smaller round head htr called firecat i think that would probably work good also depending on wind conditions and how many windows were open.get a couple camping bag chairs and some snacks,thermos and youll both be happy hunters.one warning:make sure not to get heater too close to your kids feet/legs as they will melt nylon or any fabric.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just something to think about!I took my daughter when she was younger and those nylon snow suits are really noisy! The deer in our foodplot looked up every time she even flinched a lil and they weren't that close

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
968 Posts
If you are IN a blind, take a nice heavy blanket.

They keep you toasty and work great!

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
I've taken a sleeping bag out before and it worked great

·
Registered
35,821 Posts
Sleeping bag and disposable hand warmers work great. Make sure you take a thermos of chicken broth or hot chocolate. Snacks are also important.

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
Coleman Sports CAT acrylic heater it runs on a small propane bottle. Nice problem to have give her a big hug to keep her warm and second the warm soups etc.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I have been using a heavy blanket and it works great. Put it in a garbage bag when done to keep it clean and dry. Hand warmers are a good idea too.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well the wife had to get last minute stuff at grocery store so me and the kids ran to Menards across the rd. I got the Mr Heater Lil Buddy and 1/2 dz bottles of propane at $1.99 each. I got the heater for $50.00 after a coupon and pre Black Friday sale a thon. I think it was 89.00 regular. So thanks for the Menards Post.....

So we got all the goodies. new blind,heater,fresh bait pile, snacks, a pull up (wife's idea) and a Doe Tag left. So come sat. and sun. Why Moomy shops daddy will HUNT!!! Now I wish I had a X-Bow I would let her shoot a small deer. She would be one bad little girl to pull daddy's Hoyt back :lol::lol:

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Mr. Heater works really well once it gets going, there is a very loud ping when you depress the ignition for the pilot though. Every time I fire up my buddy heater I cringe. Years ago I had a Coleman black cat which you had to light manually which is much better for a deer blind in my opinion.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Mr. Heater works really well once it gets going, there is a very loud ping when you depress the ignition for the pilot though. Every time I fire up my buddy heater I cringe. Years ago I had a Coleman black cat which you had to light manually which is much better for a deer blind in my opinion.
Bring a lighter w/ you to light the heater, much quieter

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
379 Posts
Do you really, truly believe that the ping from lighting a Buddy heater is going to make any difference to a deer? Deer don't know what that sound is. Therefore they cannot recognize that sound as being made by a heater which is used by a hunter. Think about it. I think hunters as a general rule fret a lot about nothing.:lol::lol::lol: I have been using a Mr. Heater Buddy heater for years while hunting from a pop-up blind. The split second of noise made by lighting the heater has had absolutely no effect on whether I see deer or not. Just my experience talking here.

·
Premium Member
9,387 Posts
Do you really, truly believe that the ping from lighting a Buddy heater is going to make any difference to a deer? Deer don't know what that sound is. Therefore they cannot recognize that sound as being made by a heater which is used by a hunter. Think about it. I think hunters as a general rule fret a lot about nothing.:lol::lol::lol: I have been using a Mr. Heater Buddy heater for years while hunting from a pop-up blind. The split second of noise made by lighting the heater has had absolutely no effect on whether I see deer or not. Just my experience talking here.
Kinda sorta with ya on that. You'll be making more noise going to the stand than just the click of the igniter. I use the larger MB in my permanent blind, hooked to a 100# tank. I don't have to worry about running out. ;)

·
Registered
1,284 Posts

Your right, deer wont recognize the metallic click of a heater. That is why they will hone in on it. Maybe I'm just paranoid but I like the odds stacked in my favor, from noise to scent control to stand placement, etc, etc.
Mr. Buddy is a great heater but it isn't the perfect heater for a deer blind, it is loud when it is being lit. Try getting away with making noise like that in a U.P. Cedar swamp,,,,,it's loud. Just my experience talking here.

·
Premium Member
9,387 Posts

Your right, deer wont recognize the metallic click of a heater. That is why they will hone in on it. Maybe I'm just paranoid but I like the odds stacked in my favor, from noise to scent control to stand placement, etc, etc.
Mr. Buddy is a great heater but it isn't the perfect heater for a deer blind, it is loud when it is being lit. Try getting away with making noise like that in a U.P. Cedar swamp,,,,,it's loud. Just my experience talking here.
wo unto the deer that's close enough to hear mine ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts