Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My hands really take a beating this time of year while Fishing. I've been looking for options in Heated glove technology and was wondering if anyone has experience with these. Is it a waste of money, should I just stick with the Hot Packs /Handwarmers. Don't want to give up on fishing just when it's getting good. Thanks ,Tom

·
Registered
592 Posts
My hands really take a beating this time of year while Fishing. I've been looking for options in Heated glove technology and was wondering if anyone has experience with these. Is it a waste of money, should I just stick with the Hot Packs /Handwarmers. Don't want to give up on fishing just when it's getting good. Thanks ,Tom
I have tried electronic devices and electric gloves. I suggest sticking with the hot packs in mittens. They last all day. Very reliable.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I use both toe-warmers and hand-warmers at the same time to keep my hands warm. I will tape a hand-warmer to the inside of each wrist just above my palm, as that helps to warm the blood before it goes into your hands. Some days, that is enough to keep my hands warm by-itself, even without gloves. But on the really cold days, I will also stick a toe-warmer to the backside of each hand, and then put my gloves on. If I have to take my gloves on and off to handle fish, etc, I will sometimes tape them on with hockey tape to keep them from falling off. Make sure not to tape them too tight or you will cut off the circulation, which defeats the purpose.

I will also put them in my boots, on top of my socks by my toes, which does a great job of keeping your toes toasty on even the coldest days. So that would be two pairs of toe warmers and 1 pair of hand warmers for the day, which costs about $3-4 bucks, which is nothing compared to all of the other fishing-related expenses. Totally worth it to be able to keep my hands and feet from going numb.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
So that would be two pairs of toe warmers and 1 pair of hand warmers for the day, which costs about $3-4 bucks, which is nothing compared to all of the other fishing-related expenses. Totally worth it to be able to keep my hands and feet from going numb.
I just bought a 10 pack bag of hand warmers at Dunham's for 8.99 I believe.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Some good ideas there.But your response to my comment said unreliable.??Taping the pack to the wrist sounds interesting, I will try it.thanks

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Hand warmers are a bit cheaper than toe-warmers and easier to find, but they don't have the adhesive on the back and they are thicker, so they don't fit inside of gloves as well as toe-warmers do. Hand-warmers last a bit longer though. BTW, a "10-pack" is usually 5 pairs. They generally end up being about a buck per pair. A bit less when bought in bulk. Still worth it, IMO.

·
Registered
592 Posts
It was "Big D" who responded with "Not reliable", and I assumed he was talking about the heated gloves.
You are probably right. I had a electronic rechargeable once. It worked fine for about three hours before needing a recharge. But the following year it would not recharge. Stick with the packs. They last all day inside my mittens

·
Premium Member
2,853 Posts
Elements makes an electric hand warmer. Chargeable by USB and lasts about 6 hours. They are 24.00 normally but can be had for 14 bucks on sale. I own several and keep one in each pocket. They work when wet and I don't have to worry about not having disposable ones on hand.

I also use the Zippo warmers and they too work great.

Another trick of mine is to use the toe warmers with sticky tape on them. I stick them to the back of each hand and then put on glove liners.

The electric ones are my favorite but, obviously, due to size, wouldn't fit in a glove

·
Registered
120 Posts
+1 for the combustible warmers (Zippo or solid stick). They just work. I can keep my hands in my pockets in a deer stand, or tuck a solid stick in my palm when I’m jigging. I usually don’t even use gloves in the deer stand because my pockets are so toasty.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Toe warmers for me too.

I stick one to each inner forearm close to the elbow though. I think he helps keep the warm blood flowing toward my fingers and they're not too close to my wrists to get exposed to the elements...

Plus I stick a toe warmer to my chest and lower back on top of 1 layer but under the other several layers... feels SO nice!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Goodsuit helps also

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
I have never used that type of hand warmers but would like to try them. Would you please give me the exact name of that product. Thank you. I still have a few of those 50 year old hand warmers that use lighter fluid, you know the ones that burn your skin when they leak. Just like those zippo cig. lighters.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I have never used that type of hand warmers but would like to try them. Would you please give me the exact name of that product. Thank you. I still have a few of those 50 year old hand warmers that use lighter fluid, you know the ones that burn your skin when they leak. Just like those zippo cig. lighters.
This is my favorite and go to brand. Meijers and Dunhams have them.
https://www.google.com/search?q=gra...6.69i57j0l7.7763j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

·
Registered
592 Posts
Toe warmers for me too.

I stick one to each inner forearm close to the elbow though. I think he helps keep the warm blood flowing toward my fingers and they're not too close to my wrists to get exposed to the elements...

Plus I stick a toe warmer to my chest and lower back on top of 1 layer but under the other several layers... feels SO nice!
Man your blood must be like water

·
Registered
605 Posts
They work with tiny wires. Every time you bend your finger, wrist, you flex it . After so many flexes ,the wire breaks. When i worked as BPS. every pair was returned for the same thing.
Stick with hand warmers.

·
Banned
5,180 Posts
Makes ya wonder how they kept warm back in the day....... Just sayin. Todays technology sure has made it more comfortable which its also made some soft.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts