Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,470 Posts
I can't figure this one out. Last night I caught the beginning of the Channel 7 11:00 news. The very first story was supposedly a Channel 7 exclusive. They had the only video of police and border patrol officers pulling a guy out of the Detroit River behind the Joe. He apparently went over the railing and down onto the ice to retrieve his hat that he had lost. It looks like they got him out OK because someone just happened to be at the right place at the right time and called 911. He was at the Detroit Medical Center for observation.

Anyway, after the majority of the story was over they put up a graphic on the screen describing the safety rules for ice. One of the things that came up on the graphic was a statement that I've never heard of before.

"Cold snaps weaken ice"

That's a new one on me. I've never heard that and didn't realize that cold weakened ice. Anyone else ever hear this? :)

John

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Come on..it's the news after all! The news stories are about as accurate as the weather forecasts!

What I want to know is how in the hell did those two guys ever get the hole started with a 20' shaft? Did one guy stand on the other guys shoulders?

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Ever have an ice cube from your freezer just fall apart in pieces? It's caused from long term cold and dry conditions. Wind also plays a factor as any remaining moisture can evaporate, even snow can evaporate with Chinook winds AKA SnowEater. Once these elements are put together ice simple becomes brittle. Isn't it easier to hand auger through good solid black ice rather than soft waterlogged white ice..Kinda like breaking a dried maple branch over your knee compared to a green branch. So there ya have it.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
I am thinking that the only way that this would weaken the ice is from all the cracks it causes because of "making more ice". But by then... the ice is usually so thick that you don't have to worry about.

I mean... we have all been there... on the ice when the ice starts "talking to you" and making those crazy sounds when it is making ice. I have even been sitting on my bucket and had a crack in the ice go right between my legs. Talk about the hair on your neck standing straight up!! :tdo12: The ice was over 10 inches thick... so there was nothing to worry about... but you still get that erie feeling!!

That is the only way I can think of.

·
Premium Member
9,594 Posts
Cracking ice always has a way of waking you up.:D

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
media figures that we believe politicians so we may believe them too !
I have not seen ice unsafe in over 25 years because of being too cold and quite the opposite.... every time i have seen it get too warm .... the ice gets brittle and unsafe. so i will believe mother nature way over what mankind has to say .... every time !

1 - 17 of 17 Posts