Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any help on direction or depth would be great. Only fished the bay on the ice one time a few years ago. Hoping for a good day Saturday cause Sunday isn't looking good for wind. Thinking of launching from Linwood. Thanks in advance !

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will be on quads. All set up with pull behind shanty and GPS. Plenty of ice experience. Just not much on the bay. Thinking Linwood but am open to suggestions. Will be staying in bay city Friday and Saturday night.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well, you pretty much can't go wrong. I've fished a lot of different depths this year. I've found fish from 11' to 23'. I haven't been out since Monday. So I'm not sure of what the crack/cracks are looking like however.

·
Premium Member
30,124 Posts
Be careful out there. I haven't been out of the westside, but hear the crack opend up from 4-12' in spots the other day about 1 1/2 miles out. Not sure if straight, north, or south. Just be cautious at any crack. Use a spud if you have any doubts. Don't take a chance. Following someone who has been out would be a plus, atleast at the crack crossings.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Be careful out there. I haven't been out of the westside, but hear the crack opend up from 4-12' in spots the other day about 1 1/2 miles out. Not sure if straight, north, or south. Just be cautious at any crack. Use a spud if you have any doubts. Don't take a chance. Following someone who has been out would be a plus, atleast at the crack crossings.
I heard the same thing from one guy, then another guy told me it was tight. Must be in different locations off of linwood. But to be safe I'm going to hold it wide open from shore to the fingers. Not taking any chances tmrw.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
I heard the same thing from one guy, then another guy told me it was tight. Must be in different locations off of linwood. But to be safe I'm going to hold it wide open from shore to the fingers. Not taking any chances tmrw.
I think some guys see water and think it’s “spread” not realizing it’s water on top of pushed down ice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
I think some guys see water and think it’s “spread” not realizing it’s water on top of pushed down ice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bingo. Not a lot of room for the ice to move right now. Water is going to go on top of the ice at the cracks with the way it's making ice the last few days.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I just came in from Linwood. Its cold. Really cold. But I didn't see any open crack, lots of smaller shoves. I just haven't seen a reason to go out that far yet. Anything much more than 13' and you've passed over lots of catchable fish

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I just talked to 2 different groups that came in from Linwood- they both reported a crack 1.5 miles out 2-4’ wide.

·
Registered
483 Posts
IMG_0646.JPG
Fished northeast of Linwood tonight caught our limit between 3-530. Used blue chrome jigging rap and my buddy caught them on a blue shiver minnow. The crack is open approximately 2' from what it looked like to me. No problem for a sled but a quad would be a different story.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts