Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm heading out today. I went out with a more experienced person on Sunday and learned a new shroom. The Blewitt. I'm going to be mainly looking for those today. I also found my first shaggymanes yesterday and ate those up right away. (I found them when I was "Supposed" to be cooking on the grill at my sisters.....I kind of wandered off for a couple minutes:lol:) I would also like to find some kings, or shaggyparasols, but in due time. If I find something new I'll post some pics. I love this time of year by the way. It's almost bowseason as well. From now on when I get out of the stand in the morning on the way back to my truck I'm looking for shrooms and carrying a bag:lol:.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Sounds good FH!
Blewitts are one of the better fall shrooms.
I like shaggy manes on occasion too, just the younger ones though
and I like them crunchy.
The one thing I like to remember on shaggys is their gills go from
white to pink to ink, I pick them when their white and use the same day.

It's hard to stop looking, no matter what the other season
are going on and makes bowhunting and small game
more interesting for sure.

mike

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds good FH!
Blewitts are one of the better fall shrooms.
I like shaggy manes on occasion too, just the younger ones though
and I like them crunchy.
The one thing I like to remember on shaggys is their gills go from
white to pink to ink, I pick them when their white and use the same day.

It's hard to stop looking, no matter what the other season
are going on and makes bowhunting and small game
more interesting for sure.

mike
It sounds like we're both shrooming addicts. I even look for them while driving:yikes::lol::dizzy:! Somethings not right with me:lol:. I guess I got lucky today as well. Today was the VERY first time I've ever gone out to try for Blewitts and I kept 9 nice sized fresh ones. There were a couple others, but they weren't in there prime. I left them. They sure smell really robust as well. I can't wait to try some. I'll get a pick up of the shaggy manes I picked yesterday (Which I ate right away in there young button stage.) I've got a pic of the blewitts as well. If it looks like there's brown spots in the gills it's because I rinsed them off and the way the lighting hit it with the flash where I held it it looks off. They are a really nice purplish blue though.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This ones my first Shaggy Manes, cut in half to be safe and analyze the shrooms.
83%

These are my first Blewits. The really big one I found to be buggy and pitched it. The rest are definitely good though. Again the brownish look is because I just washed them, squished the gills and it was the lighting with the flash. WAAAY prettier in person.
83%

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Those look great FH and delicious imo.
Now shaggys are pretty good deep fried imo and
once we get more rain will be popping by the hundreds
up until the first week of November.

mike

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Chris, you need to seek some serious help my friend, you have issues.

Little Shroom!

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chris, you need to seek some serious help my friend, you have issues.

Little Shroom!
Hey, Frantz how's it going? Good to hear from you!!:):) Also, yeah I remember that morel hunt. My very first shroom I look all day and find one dinky morel about the size of a vienna sausage.............then.........well then somehow you guys had to mess with me and relate the little shroom;):yikes::lol: We need to talk again man. It's been a while.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Those look great FH and delicious imo.
Now shaggys are pretty good deep fried imo and
once we get more rain will be popping by the hundreds
up until the first week of November.

mike
I'll have to try them deep fried. With the rain we're supposed to be getting Monday I'll be looking big time as well.:D

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Was out this morning for a bit and picked my first couple
of small maitakes of the year and a half dozen meadows
along with a couple of nice big horses.
Left a couple of small hens about the size of a base ball
until they get a tad bigger.

I don' think I'll be picking forty some hens this year
as I did last, but with a little rain coming this week,
one never knows.lol

Henburgers on a wood fire are definitely on the menu this weekend.

Might as well toss a couple of fresh walleyes on there to
for good measure.

mike

·
Woods and Water Rat
21,619 Posts
Yes a good shot of rain is in order. I am only going every other day instead of every day. Pretty quiet right now. Even a heavy fog would be welcome LOL!

·
Registered
26 Posts
[/quote]
These are my first Blewits. The really big one I found to be buggy and pitched it. The rest are definitely good though. Again the brownish look is because I just washed them, squished the gills and it was the lighting with the flash. WAAAY prettier in person.
83%
[/quote]

Got a photo of the tops of these? I think I have about #30 in my yard. Have had a few kings and lots of puffballs. I have a spot that fills up with corals in the yard but none this year so far.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts