Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
5,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I headed out Monday about 8:30 to do some whipping in Port Huron. While on the road I have to pass a gas station with a LARGE flag. That flag was sticking almost straight out. I fished the lake Monday morning at Sanilac (nothing) and the wind was strong out of the South then. It was still southerly at nite, so I said the hell with it, I'm not a expierenced whipper under the best of condition and headed back home. Did I make the right decision to go back home? Maybe some of you expierenced guys can give me some pointers, especialy on the wind conditions. Thanks in advance and
GOOD FISHING TO ALL.

· Registered
7,654 Posts
The wind is my biggest problem no matter what kind of fishing your doing, HEY I know that flag your talking about at that gas station thats the one that is about 30' long and about 15' tall? If that flag was straight out no wonder I got blown off the water yesterday.. I have made plenty of trips to the lake Huron to chase some salmon and if that flag was blowing you knew that you where in for a rough ride that day..

The best advice I can give is pick your days to go fishing because with a strong south wind depending on the boat you have you might be getting blown up past your anchor while your whipping so I think you made the right call to go back home.. The funny thig is I wanted to go out this morning tuesday morning because I am sure the wind was pretty lite this morning but since I hurt my back I am going to wait till thursday to head back out.. Cya Slick

· Registered
1,234 Posts
The last couple of trips out have had preety good winds, but I haven't seen a difference, we limited out both times... I was out last night and the winds wasn't really that bad, I wished the whole time it would die down, but it wasn't unfishable and I limited the quickest I ever have.. My .02 anyway.

· Registered
1,059 Posts
Last few times whipping i have done better with wind than when it was dead calm, heavy winds forget it, but a good 10-15 wind in the right direction seems to have a good efect. my honey hole has a dredged hole with a nice eddy, but you hardly notice the eddy on the surface with out a good wind. and you can feel the eddy better with wind.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.