Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking on putting some in and caging them this time around. Has anyone had any luck with them or is it going to be another time, money and effort waster?

·
Inscrutable Mastermind
5,381 Posts
I'm not sure what worth it means, but hazelnuts are good stuff. Do it if you can plant them efficiently. Good price for stock. Good enough pollinators. Getting them big enough so deer don't browse them.

If you don't waste to much capital and get them to a certain size in a couple years, they are worth it.

I got a couple to shrub size from $1 seedlings and had some naturalized ones that I don't see pollinators in the area that produce nuts.

I see absolutely no reasons to discourage you from trying.

I still like the idea of getting seedlings, growing them for two years in the garden and then planting them in the field. Whether this is efficient for you your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Sounds like I'm 1 year head of you. I bought 50 last spring. I liked the high stem density, mast, and lower mature height relative to some other shrubs/trees. I put most of them along a travel corridor I'm creating through a NWSG field. All were bareroots around 12"-16" in height. I caged about 1/4-1/3. Those in cages are close to 30" tall now, perhaps a few higher. Without cages the deer and rabbits have had some impact.

As best I can tell I lost none, but some that were browsed are the same height or slightly shorter than when I planted them. Some are perhaps 20-24". I tried 1 application of RU around them in spring and then let the weeds grow up around the perimeter to shade them during the heat of summer, and never made it back for fall spraying. This spring I'll try to find them all again and spray. IIRC, StevenJ also planted some and didn't have a lot to show for growth until they were caged as well.

IMO, so far I'd say they are worthwhile provided that you spend some effort on weed control and keeping the deer off them for a while.

·
Inscrutable Mastermind
5,381 Posts
Caging is a huge expenditure of effort and $. If you can establish them without significant browsing (get them to a decent size), I think when the roots establish they can either rebound from deer browsing or not get browsed.

I actually had only about three shrubs that I grew from $1 bare roots 3-4 years ago and the grew to 4 feet tall and wide and started to produce nuts. I actually haven't taken the cages off of a couple of them.

·
Premium Member
16,287 Posts
I have a bunch growing wild on my property. I have plans on splitting some and replanting

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the replies. did you guys use American or beaked? I have to do some logging on my 80 which will be taking out a lot of beech which have the scale disease so I will lose some mast. I am going to plant some oaks but we all know how long those take. I have done some planting in the past but did not cage and life did not allow me to concentrate on my land to get back and do it, lesson learned. I was hoping to see someone with 10 to 12 footers full of nuts and a good success story. I am trying to get a good game plan together before the logging is done which will happen next winter. I was also looking at coldstream farms and they have American already at 2 to 3 footers at a reasonable price,anyone tried those?
thanks,

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I planted America hazelnuts. Hopefully in 4-6 years I can report back with 8-10's full of mast. Hardest part of planting shrubs/trees is waiting for them to grow up!

·
Registered
771 Posts
I bought 24 bare-root 12 inchers back in 2012. They don't grow tall very fast as they are just peeking out of 36" fencing now after 2 growing seasons at my place (Ortonville). They are thickening as more stems are apparent. None have died and I planted some under some giant Wild Cherry trees where not much grows - so they are pretty hardy. No water, no fert...just stuck them in the ground and protected them - though I don't see much browse on what sticks out of the cages. Hoping for some hazelnuts and a thicket where I stacked them up a bit.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I planted several two years ago, caged them all. They haven't grown much compared to the northern pecans I planted in between them. I'm open to the idea that I may not be giving them enough credit since they grow wider and the pecans are growing vertical (with bigger leaves), it may be an illusion of sorts. I'm hopeful that in year three I'll see better results than I have to date.

I'm not sorry I planted them, I just need more patience as others have stated. So much long-term stuff in this game!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've got some that were planted back in 2006 and they aren't even close to 10' tall. They are very slow growing on my place and I have great dirt... I'd say the best ones are 5 ' max! I wouldn't hesitate to plant them again to add diversity, but there is much better things to plant for cover and for mast then hazelnuts...

·
Inscrutable Mastermind
5,381 Posts
They are very slow growing on my place and I have great dirt...I wouldn't hesitate to plant them again to add diversity, but there is much better things to plant for cover and for mast then hazelnuts...
That is a well summarized description.

Here is a picture of one native hazelnut shrub. Picture taken yesterday. It has some rubs on it. It is a solitary hazelnut in this area.. I don't know where it gets its pollinater from. It does produce nuts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for the replies and pics. not what I had envisioned. not sure it is worth the effort now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have only recently planted them on my farm, but I have seen mature shrubs and they were awesome! They were 10-12 foot tall and hold their leaves late through winter.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts