Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Remember that hazard from last year? People were warning each other about it and marking it with colored plastic jugs etc...
I looked for it today and didn't see it, I have a waypoint marked so I know where it was at... wanted to see if it was still there or moved...
Anyone know what happened to it? Removed or moved? If still there the markings are gone!
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I wondered the same thing. I sometimes think they break loose and finally sink. I know years ago when we would swing through tight against portofinos handlining there was something down there and it would show on the graph and it looked like a truck or car and If you didn’t pull up your bottom lead would get hung up on it. We always ran a homemade crawler harness with a cheap hook so it would straighten out. We never failed to pick up a couple on that swing but whatever that was disappeared one spring and that was it never caught another there. Makes you think for sure . The old guy I used to fish with there always would say I bet it was a prohibition vehicle that broke through the ice and ended up drifting there and that finally it just fell apart. Who knows I just wish it was still there today because with the electronics now you could certainly tell.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Remember that hazard from last year? People were warning each other about it and marking it with colored plastic jugs etc...
I looked for it today and didn't see it, I have a waypoint marked so I know where it was at... wanted to see if it was still there or moved...
Anyone know what happened to it? Removed or moved? If still there the markings are gone!
Thanks!
Still there as of a few weeks ago, still just barely under the surface of the water. The lifejackets and buoys from last year were likely moved by the ice flow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
The retired neighbor who taught me to handline in the 60s told stories of running liquor cross the river. He also said they stacked model Ts along the sides of the channel to keep the flow.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thanks!
what was the hazard? I sometimes fish that area and would like to know what to look out for.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
I wondered the same thing. I sometimes think they break loose and finally sink. I know years ago when we would swing through tight against portofinos handlining there was something down there and it would show on the graph and it looked like a truck or car and If you didn’t pull up your bottom lead would get hung up on it. We always ran a homemade crawler harness with a cheap hook so it would straighten out. We never failed to pick up a couple on that swing but whatever that was disappeared one spring and that was it never caught another there. Makes you think for sure . The old guy I used to fish with there always would say I bet it was a prohibition vehicle that broke through the ice and ended up drifting there and that finally it just fell apart. Who knows I just wish it was still there today because with the electronics now you could certainly tell.
I caught a fan shroud just north of there about 10 yrs back

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thanks!
Can you screen shot the location please? Or coordinates? I remember seeing it but cannot place it exactly. I thought it was gone.
thanks,

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
There actually was a car down there. In 2013 a scuba diver was messing around in that area and found the car upside down, with human remains still inside. He took the license plate off and gave it to police. Turns out it was a guy that went missing 10 years prior! Left his house one night in December and never came home.

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Still there as of a few weeks ago, still just barely under the surface of the water. The lifejackets and buoys from last year were likely moved by the ice flow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I figured the markers would be gone... I'll get the coordinates and post...

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Uncle Boo Poo- wow that is kind of creepy to think about because it sure did look like a vehicle very sad though.

Reactions: Uncle Boopoo

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1AB88D2C-7599-40A3-832C-F05927551CC3.jpeg
here‘s the chords, thought I had a pic but can’t find it and doesn’t matter as it has changed.
need to remember this is where it USED to be. Might still be there maybe not walleye5-0 saw it but may have moved from when I took the waypoint last May.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts