Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Straining the shallows for Bass with the Lil Mighty Mites, the 500 and 400 Spoonplug and with some Rapala original floaters 3in and 3.75 in.
Water temps 53-56 trolling 2 -8 ft fow great fun short video clip of a few of the fish I have been finding some 37 the last 4 times out. A darn cold spring for sure 40 degrees this morning. The future forecast is said to be a bit cooler than normal over the next couple of weeks.
Without Bucks knowledge and many of the Spoonpluggers I would not even be on the water right now. So much to learn I cannot wait... Thank You Buck Perry.

hal

·
Registered
18,703 Posts
Was not spoon plugging....
But hit reeds on the downwind side of a lake a couple times making the last foot of water warm(est) in early spring.
The variety of fish was quite interesting , with a fish per cast the norm.
The majority were bass.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Yup bass fishing been pretty good since end of march. Nice job on the spoonplugging, that's a neat technique

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup bass fishing been pretty good since end of march. Nice job on the spoonplugging, that's a neat technique
3 different times hooked fish 6-7 ft behind the boat in "boil" motor. Even the little guys give you big jerk when that happens,

Chance of snow up here by the weekend
Fox17 was talking about that yesterday AM typical April for sure!

Hal

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Was not spoon plugging....
But hit reeds on the downwind side of a lake a couple times making the last foot of water warm(est) in early spring.
The variety of fish was quite interesting , with a fish per cast the norm.
The majority were bass.
I'm not sure of temps Fish being cold blood their activity level does increase in warmer water. Fish are comfortable at any temp above freezing However bait fish minnows shad will get blown to down wind side of a lake and I have always thought the predators follow the food,

Hal

Reactions: Waif

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another good three days straining the shallows 24 bass three different lakes.
Very short video of today's actions. Hope some tells the pike the season opens Saturday and they seem to have lock jaw in the deeper breaks and breaklines water temps still around 53 degrees.

Hal

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tough cold windy spring so far. had time for a quick run at'em. 6 pike 4 bass.
short video of a few of hookups.all fish caught in 3 fow to 14 fow. Water temps back down to 50 degrees trolling speeds 1.5 to 2.7 mph cold water means slow speeds for every thing with fins

hal

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No Bass today. 12 Pike concentrated on 8-19 fow Amazing how fish get caught on structure either off a finger of a shoreline bar or a 2 sided bar jutting out in to the lake waster. You can find structure with no fish but when you find fish you are always on a structure. Weeds just starting to grow. Less water between the top of weeds and surface of the water.
Here's a few of the pike caught today

Hal

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Another nice morning on a different lake 9 pike and 1 bass. LM's are starting to spawn so I stay out a little deeper give those big girls a chance to make baby LM's. Weeds are starting to grow adjusting line lengths.
Gave the electric reels a good work-out. all fish caught on a rapala 4in and 7 in and lil 500 spoonplug. Watre temp 55f depths 6 fow-16 fow

Hal

Reactions: vegasguy and chuckb

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Buck Perry founded the idea of fish moving on structure. Monday was a great example of it and it is crystal clear to me now.
His thought and study claimed that "If Fish are not moving then they will not be striking or biting. I was on the water at my usual time 8:00 am and by 8:45 I was done, didn't know it but I was done 8 fish caught in the 1st 45 minutes. Never caught another fish in the next 3 hrs and 15 minutes. And I was on structure every minute of that time. I spoke with two fisherman at launch. One never caught a fish that day at all and the other caught two bass early and then like my self was done..
Going Musky Hunting Tuesday and Weds Am...Hope their moving!

Hal

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Cinco De Mayo Musky, 4 LM's and Musky fun day figuring out where they were. Hit the big guy at 8:04 am i do not pose with the Esox any more just unhook'em along side the boat and let'em go. No reason to take them out of the water and say cheese.
Been a good two weeks the toothy are coming out Pike and Musky. Will go Musky hunting again tomorrow, different lake. I got to check it out. Cannot catch'em if your not out there.

Hal

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pleasant Lake Friday morning. Pike hanging in 9-16 fow and actually start to chase. Hooke at least one on the 6 structures that I have mapped. Trolling water between structure not so much.
Video tomorrow.

Hal

1 - 13 of 13 Posts