Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The place I deer hunt is a whole 1/2 section of picked corn/wheat with mostly corn. 40 acres woods off to one side.

The fields are hilly and I've come to rely on the geese whenever I hunt the one side. Everytime a deer runs the valleys, out of my sight, the birds will start honkin, rise, circle and then come right back.

Anyway, I have no clue to the season dates, or the first thing about huntin Geese, but would like to learn.
I Love to call spring Turkeys, so this sounds like fun too.

Lookin for someone to show me the ropes.

There are birds here. All day.
Starting late bowseason ( sometimes I can't even use my grunt calls, the Honkers are so loud. ) and are there as we speak. A flock of about 200 day before yesterday........

They will fly in all times of the day, with 5 times as many flocks flying by and not landing, but well within calling distance. There's also a big 5 acre pond off to one side of the property that butts up to the picked corn too.

From what I'm reading about the horror stories of others running into guys that are setting up too close, or skyblasting...........that's non existant here.
No competition for miles.

Anybody interested in gettng some shooting in, PM me.

My deer camp is only a few hundred yards away from the hunting area, stocked with food, a color TV and buddy heater. So we can get coffee'd up and go back out on and off all day........

I've hunted this ground 30 years and know it well.
I also treat it with the utmost care and respect and will require anybody that hunts with me to do the same.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Thunderhead said:
The place I deer hunt is a whole 1/2 section of picked corn/wheat with mostly corn. 40 acres woods off to one side.

The fields are hilly and I've come to rely on the geese whenever I hunt the one side. Everytime a deer runs the valleys, out of my sight, the birds will start honkin, rise, circle and then come right back.

Anyway, I have no clue to the season dates, or the first thing about huntin Geese, but would like to learn.
I Love to call spring Turkeys, so this sounds like fun too.

Lookin for someone to show me the ropes.

There are birds here. All day.
Starting late bowseason ( sometimes I can't even use my grunt calls, the Honkers are so loud. ) and are there as we speak. A flock of about 200 day before yesterday........

They will fly in all times of the day, with 5 times as many flocks flying by and not landing, but well within calling distance. There's also a big 5 acre pond off to one side of the property that butts up to the picked corn too.

From what I'm reading about the horror stories of others running into guys that are setting up too close, or skyblasting...........that's non existant here.
No competition for miles.

Anybody interested in gettng some shooting in, PM me.

My deer camp is only a few hundred yards away from the hunting area, stocked with food, a color TV and buddy heater. So we can get coffee'd up and go back out on and off all day........

I've hunted this ground 30 years and know it well.
I also treat it with the utmost care and respect and will require anybody that hunts with me to do the same.

:lol: so what's the PM count at now...10-15-20 ???

Geese on privet property and they've been using it everyday without hassel for months. Sounds like a gold mine to a waterfowler!!! Woundn't even have to empty out the whole trailer of dekes...:lol: . If you guys need an extra gun, mine is ready...;) ! Either way, post some pics of the impending slaughter!

Sounds like local birds to me. Might consider leaving it for late season, you can shoot 3/day then. This is in the Southern zone, right?

Late Season:

South Zone (excluding local GMUs)
Dates: December 31, 2005 - January 29, 2006
Bag Limit: 3 daily, 6 possession

If not then get them now.

Regular Season (excluding local GMUs)

Lower Peninsula: October 1-16 and November 24 - December 5, 2005
Bag Limit: 2 daily, 4 possession

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually only one guy. :) That's fine tho.
This is sacred ground to me and I'm just lookin for someone that wants to get some shootin in and is willing to teach me whats all involved in Goose huntin.

Thanks for the info Wyle ! :)

G

·
TH -

I spent more than a handful of years guiding goose hunters at a club in Carbondale, Illinois.

Here is everything you need to know -

1) It's expensive. Go price decoys. You'll see...then you've got to store the damn things for 11 months a year.
2) They taste like bad liver. Think fajitas or horseradish sauce...
3) The similarity between turkey and geese ends with they are both big birds.
4) It's ALOT of work...especially for a two bird limit.
5) I've had big, southern Illinois bucks run right through my spreads during the rut, but that's the exception. It will affect the daytime habits of the deer that use your property regularly.

Still want to hunt them?

I gave 'em up years ago and am a duck only guy now.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Thunderhead said:
I'm just lookin for someone that wants to get some shootin in and is willing to teach me whats all involved in Goose huntin.

Thanks for the info Wyle ! :)
Well, there are allot of very experienced waterfowlers here. I only know enough to get me by, but it works.
It's a great sport to get into Thunderhead. Kind of the same as turkey hunting, but your going to need allot more dekoys..:lol:.

·
Registered
186 Posts
"2) They taste like bad liver. Think fajitas or horseradish sauce"

You can usuually make them tasty by cutting breasts into cubes , marinate in teriyaki sauce and favorite spices for 48 hours, skewer them shish-ka-bob style, and grill them. Save the marinade, put it in a pot, bring it to a boil. Once cooked (don't over cook) take the breast cubes off skewers and put back into simmering marinade for a couple of minutes then serve. Usually makes even the worst tasting/Toughest old bird quite edible.

G

·
Hillbilly - You have proven my point...

As I age, I'm just a little more particular about what I'm willing to go through to make something passable as table fare.

Besides...that recipe has enough sodium in it to kill ya! :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Oh I hear yeah, I don't chase them anymore either, incidentals will be taken but yep just not worth the time to make them the main target. I was just trying to help the guy out who has em coming out of his ears as it sounds like at least a few will be easily bagged without having to clear out Gander Mountain. Also I should have metioned you don't drink/eat the marinade, I just keep the meat in there to keep it moist, its like Au Jus. You can also get the lower sodium teriyaki sauce.

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
hi tom, old bubddy of mine. is that where i dont qualify? good luck finding a mentor. your friend, Darrin ;) :SHOCKED:

tom you do have a clue. where are the birds roosting? dont post that. lol... are they roosting on that lake? anyhow will it freeze? they will leave if the roost will freeze. that should help determine wether or not to hunt them up now or wait for late season. also you may be close to the norht south boundry look at the dnr map to see if your area is open in jan. if you have birds, you will have plenty of guys to go out with. :lol: especially posting it here.lol

here is the link to the map. http://www.michigan.gov/images/waterfowl_zonemap_20470_7.jpg

do you still have my #? :lol:

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The birds flew the coup fellas. Haven't seen a bird in 4 days........next year when they come back in I'll get ahold of you again.
Thanks for all the replys. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts