Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started processing deer in my garage with a friend of mine so we could make some extra money for fishing and help the hunters that cannot do the processing there selfs because there is not alot of deer processors out over here. Well this year I spent about $3000.00 on a brand new comercial grinder and a stuffer. So my buddy and I had a talk and said that I have to pay this off before anyone of us can keep any money doing this, and he agreed with me. Right now we have done 15 deer and then I got something in the mail by my zoneing comisionner telling me that I have to have a permite to do this and that cost me $200.00 just because I had put a sign down by my driveway. I dont under stand why I have to do this because I am trying to help out the hunters because alot of times they cannot get there deer in because other processers are all booked up. All I did was put a sign up at the end of my driveway saying DEER PROCESSING with my phone #. You never see any deer laying aound so nobody else can see them and there is no carcases ( bones ) in my front yard. I take it all to the dump. Right now I live in Barry County and need some kind of help on this. Do I need a permite and will the health dept. have to get in this to. All I do is cut up deer and no cattle. Anyone with any ideas...
Caznik :(

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
Ya it's a health department thing. Once you get a license to process venison you will need to get regular health department inspections so they know you are selling poison to people.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Hey Caz,

Once the sign is up, it opens up a whole new can of worms since it is stating the fact that you are running a business out of your home.

My friend and I have a Stained Glass business we run out of her basement that is an official business(tax id, etc.) with the state and federal government. When we put the sign out at the end of her driveway, the township required us to fill out the proper forms and pay for the fees. It was worth it in the long run.

If you are required to go through inspections, use it to your advantage and use it in your advertising. Many people are looking for a smaller processor that they know will keep track of THEIR deer and is sanitary.

:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts