Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi dont no where to go but i have a 30-30 in great shape with a scope was looking to get a 7mm. does anybody know where i could go to possably trade it or a wb site that has the prices of 7mm's so i know how much some models are

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
Most gun shops deal with trade ins.

What 7mm do you want?
7mm-08?
7x57 Mauser?
7mm Express (aka .280 Remington)?
7mm Remington Mag?
7mm WSM?
7mm Weatherby Mag?
7mm Remington Ultra Mag?
7mm Lazzeroni?
7mm Remington Short Action Ultra Mag?

·
Banned
19,596 Posts
Go with the 7mm-08, great Michigan whitetail caliber!

·
Registered
7,479 Posts
Go with a classic caliber and you won't have any problem finding rounds etc.

Get a 7mm Mag. Remington 700 SPS SS would be my choice.

Where do you live?...that may help with finding a place to trade.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
I was in Silver Bullet on the south side of Grand Rapids a month ago and they had a Ruger #1a in 7mm Mauser on consignment at an attractive price. I was tempted. ;)

I have received significantly better trade in value at Bob's in Hastings than at Silver bullet, though.

-na

·
Registered
717 Posts
Keep the 30-30 and buy the 7mm. You can't have to many guns! If not then find out what you can get on trade and sell it to a friend or a member of this site for that amount. That way someone gets it that will enjoy it instead of someone that is just going to turn a profit on it.

·
Registered
270 Posts
What does a 7MM Mag do that a 30-30 will not?

As far as hunting is concerned, not much. The 30-30 is good for whitetail out to 200 yards. What percentage of deer in Michigan are taken at ranges of less than 200 yards? 99%???

The advantage of the 7mm only comes into play with shots in the 200+ yard range. If you are planning a western elk hunt or a caribou hunt in Canada then I agree the 30-30 is not the right gun. But for Michigan, 30-30 is all the gun most people will ever need.

Two other factors to consider: (1) recoil and (2) ammunition cost.
7mm rounds have about twice the recil and twice the cost of a 30-30 round.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all about buying new guns because I love guns. But if you're buying a 7mm becasue you think there is something wrong with a 30-30, I'd think again.

A person who is a dead eye with a 30-30 will beat an average shooter with a 7mm any day of the week. You can't shoot a big enough gun to make up for poor accuracy.

·
Registered
10,443 Posts
The best prices today are for used guns. Keep the 30-30 because the value of used guns are down. Scour the paper and find a nice gun and you'll probably get that cheaper than trading and buying new, even after you get credited for the trade in. Hell, I picked up a fireproof safe this month for $299.

The deals are in used guns these days, as this economy is in the toilet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts