Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The main reason for getting the trap was that we had a second visit (one last year as well) from a muskrat and it was totally destroying the vegetation in our koi pond. But, after a couple days til the trap arrived it apparently got the hint that neither the dog nor I wanted it there so it hasn't been seen. But, we had a pair of red squirrels hanging around for the first time ever along with a bunch of chipmunks, ***** and chucks so I decided to try trapping some of them and its been a great success. I got a chipmunk first and then a red squirrel and haven't seen his/her partner since. I got a couple birds, a baby possum and 5 more chipmunks including 2 in one day. I actually got one in 20 minutes after moving the trap to where I had just seen him. I set it, came in to shower, went back out 20 minutes later and sure enough he was in there. The $30 investment in the trap has sure been worth it and I can attest they work quite well. All I've baited with is a little bird seed, a couple kernels of corn, some out dated nuts, and a couple cheerios, lol. All the critters are thriving elsewhere other than the possum. I let the little bugger go in the wood line behind the house in hopes that he would do his job and help with the tick problem since my neighborhood has a herd of "urban" deer the past few years. Went out to play with the dog the next day and found his head laying by the brush pile, chewed right off. Apparently the neighbor's cat did a number on it as it had been seen out in the area. I'd like to trap that thing and take it for a ride and nothing more ticks me off then watching it try to stalk the birds we feed. Had the turd gotten the chipmunks I'd probably tolerate it but apparently it's not that great of a hunter. But anyways,, haven't got a chipmunk in the past couple days so I think I may have cured that problem for the time being. Have only seen the ***** once, a couple nights ago when taking the dog out for a potty break, they were all up in a neighbor's tree and I could see their glaring eyes in my flashlight.

For the ***** and chucks, I recently purchased a .22cal air rifle. It's the Ruger Magnum synthetic with a 4x32 and it packs quite a wallop and has already put a chuck down in one shot whereas in the past, the .177 would need more than one shot typically. So I'm pretty well up-to-date for critter control atm and my GS Sadie does a great job patrolling both day and night. This is the first year ever that our pond hasn't been thriving with green frogs as well and we can thank all the snakes and ***** for that. I've hardly seen a toad this year either. Usually, with little rain like we've had, frogs would come to the pond and love it so much they'd stay. We had 17 last year until they all started to disappear because of the unwanted snakes and *****.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess you can't say co ons, didn't know that, RACCOONS, lol. Trust me, I wasn't trying to be racist!

I usually refer to squirrels as tree rats, chipmunks as chippers, woodchucks as chucks, and well, I'll have to start using trash panda more often I guess, haha

I didn't get a strike for that did I? :hide::bowdown:

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Reactions: sureshot006

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lmao I know man it's silly!

I've only caught 3 chipmunks this year. I think the neighbor hasn't been putting out bird seed.
You know, I read up on chippers and found it quite interesting in that it said they are not very social, only one per burrow, and only usually get together when mating. Their home range is often less than 1/2 an acre and some don't venture more than 50 feet from their home. I find that hard to believe because I see the things running everywhere around my house, lol.

·
46,398 Posts

·
46,398 Posts
You know, I read up on chippers and found it quite interesting in that it said they are not very social, only one per burrow, and only usually get together when mating. Their home range is often less than 1/2 an acre and some don't venture more than 50 feet from their home. I find that hard to believe because I see the things running everywhere around my house, lol.
Ya in years past I'd get a couple a week all summer, digging in my garden.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I’ve waged war on our chipmunks, I glued peanuts to a rat trap. I’ve learned those chippers are even bigger suckers for a piece of apple. I have the rat traps in small boxes with a couple small holes in the corners. Keeps the good birds out of harms way, and they can’t run off with the trap if it’s still kickin.
I feed the chipmunks to the raptors at the rehab place we volunteer at. We’ve released some hawks and owls on our property that hopefully have an acquired taste for the little bastards.

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
I’ve waged war on our chipmunks, I glued peanuts to a rat trap. I’ve learned those chippers are even bigger suckers for a piece of apple. I have the rat traps in small boxes with a couple small holes in the corners. Keeps the good birds out of harms way, and they can’t run off with the trap if it’s still kickin.
I feed the chipmunks to the raptors at the rehab place we volunteer at. We’ve released some hawks and owls on our property that hopefully have an acquired taste for the little bastards.
Same here I use my weasel boxes to get the chippers, and pine (red) squirrels they are or were a real pain in the backside. Feed all the dead ones to the fox and coyotes that run the property.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Dogproof traps for raccoons. They get wise to cage traps or just don't like going in them.

Bucket traps for chipmunks. You can buy the paddle dropper. We just dig a hole and bury 2 5-gallon buckets into the ground up to the lip. I drill some holes in the lower one to beak the suction of pulling out the top one when we empty it. Fill the top bucket 3/4 way with water and we sprinkle sunflower seed on the water. They climb in to get the seed and drown. Dump the dead chipmunks daily, refill, and rebait.

·
Registered
26,897 Posts
I put cameras on traps and have concluded that a variety is better than any one type for c00ns. Variety of baits as well.

Reactions: sureshot006

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Head chewed off could also be an avian predator. We have way too many in areas of our state. There should be a season.
Could have been but we see them only on a rare occasion. Usually a couple times a summer we'll see one trying to get a bird off the feeder (suet cakes) but they have a really hard time because of the large maple and couple other trees in close proximity to the house so they can't get a good direct run on them at all. Earlier this spring or it was last year one actually flew into the picture window that we look out to see the birds. He probably had a hell of a headache for a couple days and didn't get his prey either. So, they are definitely around but I wouldn't think too many possums are out during the day time and the birds obviously aren't hunting at night unless it was an ow but haven't seen an owl around here for years. So that's why I was thinking the damn cat.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts