Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate buyin' crappie minnows and shiners over and over! Dont you?..How do you keep them alive? Same question for waxies.

I have a spare 5 gallon tank with airator(sp) and pump..Will that work?
:help: :fish: :help:
Shane

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Filtered water. City water straight from the tap doesn't work too well.

They won't last in the house and they'll freeze outside. If you have an attached garage you have a pretty good chance of one to two weeks survival.
Maybe Gone Fishing might post here with some info. He' s got it down to a science.

Mike

G

·
Well, first of all, you should stop buying crappy minnows, they make better ones you know.......oh crappie, I get it.:lol: I tried keeping some in a 10 gallon tank with a nice power filter and everything but they all died and my basement stunk like a bait store for weeks. A few lived for a while and then one morning I went down and they were all stuck to the filter. Maybe it was because it was in my basement, but I think they just need a dirty baitshop tub to stay alive plus it probably gives them more flavor. You could probably give it a try though, it's worth a shot, just try not to do it in your basement.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I've always had my best luck keeping them in my garage (attached) and not changing the water. If you put city water in they all die.

With this "method" (or lack thereof) they usually last at least a week (about 2/3 of them).

My baitbucket is styrofoam w/ a lid.

Zob

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do not have a attached garage but i do have a sunroom. Would that work?
So use the water they give you + lake water, and dont change the water, correct?

Shane

·
Registered
858 Posts
deputy865 said:
I hate buyin' crappie minnows and shiners over and over! Dont youShane
I do too! So, I learned how to fish a Jiggin Rapala and don't worry about crappie minnows anymore...

A bag or two of frozen smelt will fill in when you don't want to hassle with pike minnows.

Just a couple of alternatives.

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
A Fabrill Bait Station. It's a 6 gallon bucket with a micro stone areator. Runs on 2 Ds batteries or, you can hook it up to a 12 volt.

City water = dead minnows.

I use bottled water if no lake water is avalible.

I'll change it every couple of days.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
what about bigger sucker minnows at 50 cent to a $1 a piece - Now I hate buying those over and over, but there is never any left to take home so it is worth it.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I take a floating bait bucket and remove the foam that makes it float, and just keep in in the lake under the ice in about 3 feet of water. The bucket sits on the bottom, and I just chop it out with a spud when I need the bait. (Make sure you keep your rope coming straight up the center of the hole.)

I've had suckers last a month like this!

·
Super Moderator
6,904 Posts
i use a 5 gallon bucket with small holes drilled around it about 2 inches from the top. i then put it in the bathtub or laundry tub with the cold water just trickling into the bucket. once the water gets to the holes it flows out and the bucket never over fills. i also have well water and i have kept minnows and shiners up to 2 weeks doing this.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
kdogger said:
I take a floating bait bucket and remove the foam that makes it float, and just keep in in the lake under the ice in about 3 feet of water. The bucket sits on the bottom, and I just chop it out with a spud when I need the bait. (Make sure you keep your rope coming straight up the center of the hole.)

I've had suckers last a month like this!
yup. thats how we do it as well. We fish the same lake the majority of the time, and have a perminent shanty so it helps. I've noticed the bait being even MORE lively and we've kept the same minnows alive for weeks and weeks!

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
In my experience the garage works best but I do change a portion of the water each day for airaton purposes. In my experience its not the water that kills them but the shock they git from the temp change. If the water is not the same temp, you got dead minnows.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Not sure what to do if you don't have an attached garage... you want to find a place that keeps them somewhere in that temperature range (i.e. 45-50)... Believe it or not, it seems minnows stay better when you don't use an aerator... not sure why. The only bad part is the bucket looks like pea soup after a few days if you don't change your water (w/ other lake water) but the minnows are still swimming. If you go out during the week it would be easy to keep swapping water out to avoid this but, unfortunately, I'm a weekend warrior.

Zob

1 - 14 of 14 Posts