Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the Winchester site and was wondering if anyone here has shot the XP3 slugs. I am not sure if they were on the market for 2006. I shoot a H&R and it seems to shoot anything well. The only thing I did not like about the info is that Winchester left alot of the ballistics chart blank. Their video of the slug hitting ballistic jel was cool, though.

300 grain, polymer tipped, 2000 fps velocity at the muzzle.

The new Federal tipped Barnes slug has a complete chart and is impressive, too. 328 grain, 1900 fps at the muzzle.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
sounds like just the ticket for hunting balistic jell. just kidding.
if your gun shoots pretty much anything well,,, they won't be any deader with high priced ammo. get the cheapest you can on sale. dead is dead.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
john warren said:
sounds like just the ticket for hunting balistic jell. just kidding.
if your gun shoots pretty much anything well,,, they won't be any deader with high priced ammo. get the cheapest you can on sale. dead is dead.
I use Platinum tips, they work well, but I would like to use a non-lead slug such as the Federal Barnes, and the XP3 looks similiar. The copper slugs stay together and perform well. It looks like the XP3 has lead, but it is protected by copper.

The slugs shoot well up to 125 yards, keeping more energy at that distance. Up close, I would agree with you, but at 100 + yards I will spend the extra money and get the best that I can get. Also, I would rather not have chunks of lead in the shoulders if I can do something about it. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I don't know if they are but they look like the Barnes Spitfire TMZ. I would have to buy a box to see for sure. If it is the Barnes it will be a deer killing son of a gun.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Bought a box of Hornady shells that are comparible to what you are describing for my FIL. He loved the way they shot for him. Don't know anything about the Win.s though..

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
do you often shoot deer at that range?
i know everyone hunts different land, but in 44 years of hunting i've never shot a deer past 50 yards. so thats why i stick with good old lead slugs. long as the deer go down fast , might as well stick with what works.
i imagine if your on an open field you might want more range.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I will use nothing but the Remington Ultra copper solids. Always a deer stopper for me and lat year it proved itself again , only for my 12 year old son. He took his first deer while I sat right next to him...at 191 yards! Deer was dead on the ground 10 yards from the hit! Extreamly accurate and dependable. But remember, unless you practice and have good shot placement, nithig is going to work.

·
Registered
251 Posts
john warren said:
i know everyone hunts different land, but in 44 years of hunting i've never shot a deer past 50 yards. .
I'm 62 and I wold have totally agreed with John except that last fall I was glad I had the Hornady slugs when I shot a nice buck at 110 yeards. I think the better slugs helped but who knows. I remember thinking, "I'm glad I have those good slugs" just before I touched off. I have the H & R and have one shot and guess I want it to have the best chance.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I Use em in 300 grains .444marlin reloads with 52 grains of reloader 7. and get 2300fps. it will knock down a buffalo with 1 shot @ 90 yds. check out picture in testimonials @ D&G reloading www.qualityammo.com[/U] [/U]and keep 1 inch groups @100 yds.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
john warren said:
i know everyone hunts different land, but in 44 years of hunting i've never shot a deer past 50 yards. so thats why i stick with good old lead slugs. long as the deer go down fast , might as well stick with what works.
i imagine if your on an open field you might want more range.
I would say the average is about 50-60 yards, the farthest with a slug being 75+. I had some of the all lead slugs break up in pieces, so I am leaning toward copper.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts