Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I've got a question about an Orion Cooker. It uses indirect convection heat with charcoal and is said to be great for cooking turkey, ribs, butts, etc. I've never actually seen one until today. It looks pretty cool. I was just at Home Depot and their normal price is $139 but they've got several of them in the clearance area for $99. They sell the same thing at BPS for $150.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_65493____SearchResults

I'm intrigued by this thing and am really thinking about trying one but thought I'd ask here first to see if anyone has anything good or bad to say about them.

Thanks!

John

·
Banned
6,767 Posts
Hi folks,

I've got a question about an Orion Cooker. It uses indirect convection heat with charcoal and is said to be great for cooking turkey, ribs, butts, etc. I've never actually seen one until today. It looks pretty cool. I was just at Home Depot and their normal price is $139 but they've got several of them in the clearance area for $99. They sell the same thing at BPS for $150.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_65493____SearchResults

I'm intrigued by this thing and am really thinking about trying one but thought I'd ask here first to see if anyone has anything good or bad to say about them.

Thanks!

John
John,

I own one and I'd give them a solid "B"

Here's a post from some guy name Lee who also owns one.

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102118&highlight=orion+cooker

BTW, if you would like to borrow mine to try out before purchasing, feel free. I live in Lake Orion.

Riva

·
Banned
10,217 Posts
I have also seen them and was less than impressed. But with what the market actually calls a smoker these days, I guess, I should step back. It reminds me more of a steamer like we used to make for corn than a charcoal smoker. I have a hard time understanding how the smoke flavor actually gets to the meats, But hey, I am half dumb anyways!.

I would Take Riva up on his offer and see how ya like it before ya buy it!.
Awefull nice of him to offer, I might add.;)

·
Premium Member
18,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I agree.

Thanks Riva, I'm not ready to pull the trigger and buy one yet but maybe I'll take you up on the offer before I do.

Thank you very much for the offer!

John

·
Banned
6,767 Posts
Yeah I agree.

Thanks Riva, I'm not ready to pull the trigger and buy one yet but maybe I'll take you up on the offer before I do.

Thank you very much for the offer!

John
John,

I suggest that you try it first. It makes food FAST! The smoke comes by inserting small slices of wood in between the grease pan and the wall. You really can't get much in there, to tell the truth.

Plus, it has a a unique "flavor" to everything it cooks. Can't say its bad. Can't say its good. It's just a "unique" (very tiny) flavor that is there.

To tell you the truth, I have the thing her for one reason..impromptu parties and/or unexpected guests. You can do some really good BBQ in 1/3 of the time of regular. Also, it is a frick'n entertainer's delight..you put your food in the chamber, light the coals and, the entire thing is engulfed in flames (with your food inside.)

One thing about this product..you have to obey the timing schedule that they provide for each type of meat. This is no "peek and test" grill. Once lit, the next time you open it is when you think the stuff is done!

Again, you're welcome to borrow it any time.

R

1 - 5 of 5 Posts