Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 211 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why does something close to a hundred years of combined crossbow experience not apply to MI?
Ohio, Arkansas, Alabama, Georgia, Wyoming, Tennessee, Virginia
All of those states argued everything that has been argued in MI. The same for South Carolina, Louisiana.

The only reason I have discovered in any state I have been involved with that people can't use a crossbow is because the vertical organizations out organize and out lobby the opposition.

Since you are a quad we will allow you to use a crossbow. But don't think for a minute you are bow hunting because you are using a crossbow. You will need to be tested for this process and it will cost you and every other hunter and possibly tax payer in the state of MI to satisfy what we have lobbied for. If you shoot a nice big buck we will provide you with the proper atta boy but don't forget... You are not bow hunting. You are in fact using a weapon we have designated for a disabled hunter and it is not a bow. Or you are using a weapon we have designated for a disabled hunter and it is a bow as long as it is ONLY in your disabled hands or shooting rig.

With that said here is a real question to present your state officials with. How much is it costing the hunting community and tax payer of MI to provide, maintain and enforce the current crossbow regulations of Michigan? How much extra does it cost the disabled hunter to hunt? All this time, effort and money being spent for what? To make anyone who opposes the crossbow happy. That is it right there in a nutshell. Disabled folks pay more and able bodied folks cannot use a crossbow for one reason and one reason only. The vertical guys are organized and vocal enough to make it that way in your state. The very same people that lobbied for the laws that make it more expensive to hunt and more difficult for a disabled hunter to hunt both financially and morally. The same folks that claim to have done a great service to the disabled hunter by sharing their season with a disabled hunter with a crossbow.

How do you correct this expense problem and injustice to the disabled hunter? You step one state south and look at what is going on. Full inclusion makes it all go away. No more officers pulling people aside to check crossbow permits because they saw a crossbow. No more office workers issuing special crossbow permits. And no more doctors visits that cost a disabled hunter more money to hunt than the rest of us.

Full inclusion immediately does the most important thing that matters to all hunters of MI. It frees up the budget and manpower created to appease the vertical organizations to be applied to the stuff that really matters to a hunter. Stuff like education, management, habitat, research and harvest tracking.

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
Yep once again another post stating that the crossbow will solve all of MI problems:lol:...:dizzy:

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
The problem with your assessment is that it has logic attached to it Dan. This is MI where logic seems to be sorely lacking and even more so in the organization that is lobbying against this bill.
Yep once again another post stating that the crossbow will solve all of MI problems
It would not solve the all the problems Sbooy, but it certainly would remove some of them.

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
The problem with your assessment is that it has logic attached to it Dan. This is MI where logic seems to be sorely lacking and even more so in the organization that is lobbying against this bill.It would not solve the all the problems Sbooy, but it certainly would remove some of them.
Logic? Why compare states that are so different from MI? Why not compare states like Wisconsin or Pennsylvania? I'm not even sure, but do they allow crossbows?

"Full inclusion immediately does the most important thing that matters to all hunters of MI. It frees up the budget and manpower created to appease the vertical organizations to be applied to the stuff that really matters to a hunter. Stuff like education, management, habitat, research and harvest tracking."
Oh yeah and I just love it when people know what is important to me:dizzy:...

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
Logic? Why compare states that are so different from MI? Why not compare states like Wisconsin or Pennsylvania? I'm not even sure, but do they allow crossbows?

"Full inclusion immediately does the most important thing that matters to all hunters of MI. It frees up the budget and manpower created to appease the vertical organizations to be applied to the stuff that really matters to a hunter. Stuff like education, management, habitat, research and harvest tracking."
Oh yeah and I just love it when people know what is important to me:dizzy:...
Or we could compare the one that actually borders our state in the LP where most hunting takes place- Ohio;)

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
Or we could compare the one that actually borders our state in the LP where most hunting takes place- Ohio;)
Could? thats all we hear about Ohio does this and Ohio does that...

I would love to turn MI hunting into Ohio. Change the regs, get rid of more than half the hunters & add full inclusion crossbows...awesome I would love it...But until then MI is almost opposite of OH..almost like comparing a vertical bow to an x-bow

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
Could? thats all we hear about Ohio does this and Ohio does that...

I would love to turn MI hunting into Ohio. Change the regs, get rid of more than half the hunters & add full inclusion crossbows...awesome I would love it...But until then MI is almost opposite of OH..almost like comparing a vertical bow to an x-bow
OH actually has a very similar number of bowhunters Sbooy. And there numbers are growing. There are currently over 300,000 bowhunters in OH. MI is dropping steadily and should equal OH's numbers in a few years if not already. ;)

·
Registered
16,457 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
I hunt down in Ohio every year and probably 90% of the people I have seen/talked to down there still prefer a bow over a x-bow. I am pretty sure that would be the case in MI also. If you choose not to use one you won't, if you want to add another weapon to your arsenal and can afford it you will. What is the difference other then a bunch of self centered people trying to shove their beliefs down everyones throat.

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
Yes they do. As does MI. In case you didn't realize this, the crossbow is already a legal bow during the archery season here in MI. Just not for everyone. If you'd like to see the number of bow hunters in MI check page 13 of this link:
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/3485_236922_7.pdf

I'll dig up OH data if you'd like.;)
That would be cool..I was try'n to find it but frick'n work is getting busy...I did read where x-bows set a record last year in OH up 10% 42,292 well above vertical bow kills

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
. What is the difference other then a bunch of self centered people trying to shove their beliefs down everyones throat.
I agree I'm sick of the choice thing be shoved down my throat...

·
Registered
16,457 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
I enjoy (love) hunting as I am sure all of us do. But I really enjoy having a group of people that can hunt together. Many of the people I gun hunt with can not pull a bow (bad shoulders, low arm strength, elderly) and are not willing to spend the money going to Doctors, Therapists then back to the Doctor again to try and get a signature, so they elect not to bowhunt.

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
Sbooy- I have to step out for a few but I assure you I will get that info on here for you. In the meantime someone else might be able to provide the documentation regarding the number of bowhunters in OH. ;)

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
Sbooy- I have to step out for a few but I assure you I will get that info on here for you. In the meantime someone else might be able to provide the documentation regarding the number of bowhunters in OH. ;)
No biggy..I couldn't find either..I must say the amount data is impressive, to bad we cant do that.

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
No biggy..I couldn't find either..I must say the amount data is impressive, to bad we cant do that.
The trouble with OH's system is that it's difficult to close in on an exact number for each discipline due to the fact that a hunting license allows you to use the weapon of your choice during each individual season. You don't need a separate license for archery for example as you do here in MI.

1 - 20 of 211 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.