Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am really terrible about reading my PM's. I see the PM that you sent now that I looked. We are planning on getting out late in the day tomorrow, but it is raining right now at my place, so we may just wait until Saturday now. Was hoping that the canals at Harsen's were open so we can get some of the crappies that are in them every year at this time of year. We like to be right by my truck so we can jump into it & warm up when we need to, and both me & my grandson do not like the cold!!! A bowl of hot soup & a sandwich sounds good on the island at the bar/restaurant (San Soucci??) More about spending the time together rather than just fishing together this weekend. Thanks.

· Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Back in August I talked to the new owner of the Sans Souci Bar. His plan was to reopen it sometime next year. It has been closed for a couple of years now.

Schoolhouse Grille I think is still open.
Thanks. I like that bar as I like to play the Club Keno when I am there eating lunch. Have not been to the island since the covid started I don't think. May just stop at the Raft bar on our way home from the island tomorrow. Just going to ride around today and mostly check things out at Metro Park and the Selfridge area. Taking a few lines and a minnow bucket with us.

· Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did not make it out to the island today, but thinking about trying it out tomorrow. Still trying to find out if the canals are open or not before getting to the island only to discover that we cannot fish there. If it is open, is the water clean or extra muddy? Thanks in advance.

· Registered
3,455 Posts
Iggy I’m here what ice is still here is rotten and skim. Tomorrow you should be good.
Water clarity depends on current shallow areas crystal clear.

· Registered
14,290 Posts
I found water temps anywhere from 40-48F this afternoon. When you got out of the wind, it was beautiful weather. Never even had to put on gloves. The bite was a little slow. Only caught 9 like and kept the 3 that took major damage. One was barely 24" with a separated lower jaw (looked like a prior injury), the others 28" and 31" with lots of bleeding. Had to retrieve my lure from the biggest after cleaning. At least now I've got plenty of meat to make some smoked like dip for the holidays.

Food Fish Staple food Ray-finned fish Seafood

1 - 20 of 25 Posts