Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the bite started in the canels out in Harsens
Island. useally can go out there this time of year and smashem when they are spawning.

Sunshine N Daydreams, You cant catchem sitting on the couch getting fat!!!!!!

·
Registered
419 Posts
i know a guy that is killing them in his private canal. And get this he is still on the ice. He says the back half of the canal still has 6" of ice left. When the ice finnally get bad he breaks it up and pushes it out in the middle channel

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THANKS FOR THE INFO JASON G. THINKING ABOUT GOING OUT TOMORROW. I HAVE AN COTTAGE ON THE MIDDLE, SO I WILL GET THE SKINNY ON IT AND I WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW WE DID.

PEACE

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I WAS DOWN THAT WAY TODAY HEARD A GUY TALKIN THE SAME STORY. LET ME KNOW ALSO MUSHY 1 I'LL GO FOR SOME MORE ICE I'LL FISH ANY THING WITH WATER. I THINK IT'S A BIT EARLY FOR SPAWN BUT PRE SPAWN FORSURE. GOOD FISHIN TO YA BOYS .

A/K/A MING MING :cool:

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:) ;) :p :D Well i quess i was at the right place at the right time, me and my buddy went out early sat. morning. Rain, Thunder, wind, stopped at one place didnt even get a bump, proceeded to another spot, and couldnt keep a minnow in the water. We caught fish from 7:45 am to 2:30 pm. we caught and released over 250 perch. The best one day perchin catch i have ever had, even beats my one day best on Simcoe!!!! On the way out i stopped at Mackies bait shop at the end of Anchor Bay dr, and the old man fixed me up w/ 2 dozen and probabley gave me over 300 minnies. It was a day that absolutly nothing could go wrong.

It was funny, my family has had a cottage out there off the middle channel for 40 + years, and i have never seen news spread through out that Island so fast. we got to our spot, and there was 1 other car, w/in a matter of an hour, there were 25 cars in this particular parking lot, un-believable.

Well the bite is on, go gettcha self some!!!
Can't catchem sitting on the couch gettin FAT!!!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Wow, Mushy1! That is a perch fest!

I have fished the sny and that area quite a bit in the past and have done well on the perch later in the summer and fall, but have not had the opportunity to fish there in the early spring.

Were you out towards the bay more or back towards the sny? How deep were you fishing? Were you along those weed edges?

I am hoping to get the boat in the water later this week and make a run out there if it's not too late.

Thanks!

ratherBfishin

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey Ratherbfishin, i was on the south channel side. where you can fish right off the road. the perch use those canels to spawn.
set up a chair and bank fish, just like they do down South. Move up and down till you find them!!!! No boat required!!!!

·
Registered
781 Posts
Jason, The word "Private", and the word "Canal", seem to be an oxymoron. I mean this in a friendly way, as I know of many a canal on Harsens island that produce good fishing. One of my favorites, a perch, pike and bluegill run is called the Maybury highway. It's about 1/4 mile in length, and until the jet skis and boats show up, it can be quite entertaining.

With that said, isn't that a little more entertaining than reading about your buddys great fishing on his "private" canal.
Myself, if I didn't want to share any specific info, I wouldn't bother to post.......I understand where you're coming from, and we are neighbors, so I'll talk at you later.....Joe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts