Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the waxing has waned for 2009, and Mother Muscamoot was good to us this year. Like everyone else, when the birds were in, the gunning was good, when they were moldy, it was slow.
Watching the weather, I knew it was on.
Thursday:
Cuz 0'fered, shot at and missed one long neck at close of shooting. He wanted to layout with A. Hartz's group Friday.
I told him "Patience, my son...!"
Friday:
I took a Vay-Cay-Day. The flight Mallards had JUST started to show up that day, a group of 1000+ birds came through about 11:00AM, and piles split off and landed in the bull rushes. We ened up shooting 10, losing 2: Widgeon, Buffie, Ruddy, Greenheads, and a hen hoodie that kept flying by: left to right, 10 minutes later right to left, again left to right. #4 pass and that insolent tresspasser paid.
Saturday:
The golden day of the refuge freezing. I couldn't go, Black Tie charity formal and I promised my girlfriend 2 months ago I wouldn't hunt, so as to not end up asleep face first in my soup. Cuz and 2 A listers shot 12, lost 2: Greenheads and GWT. Their neighbors a couple hundred yards away did a lot of business that day too.
Sunday:
Cuz closed it down with 2 Greentops, HEAVY pressure Saturday blew them out. Saw good numbers but rig shy by then.
Another decent year, needed weather, it CAME THIS WEEK!

Go to Canada, boys, if you can swing it.
To the fellow posters from this site that hunt out there, see you next year. The bay's all yours, ITS SHREDDING TIME!

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are PIX from the Saturday hunt sent to my email from camera phone (for gloating pruposes)
I'll see if I can figure out how to get them here this afternoon.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I was on Harsen once afew years back. We were an early draw and chose the Marsh Pothole. We broke ice all the way out. We turned the canoe side ways and broke the ice in the pothole, set out afew blocks and tucked back into the cattails. It was incredibly cold that morning. We had acouple birds blast by before shooting time and it seemed the closer we got to shooting time the wind got stronger. There would be gusts of wind that would lay the cattails down so hard you could see where the other parties were set up. Then the noise started, like the roar of a small torando. The birds were getting up in the refuge and circling for afew minutes and then they'd set down. Alittle while later they'd get back up and stay up alittle longer. Pretty soon the flock was huge and they circled higher each time they came by. Pretty soon they were 2 or 3000' up and they peeled off and headed south. This same scenerio was repeated acouple of time. In the end there wasn't a single duck in the refuge. It was quite a spectical to witness. As I recall, we didn't shoot a single bird that day. However it was an awesome display of nature. FRANK

·
Registered
261 Posts
Being that the season is over I think We can talk specific now! Hunted the Island yesterday as well Hunted zone 28 in the PM slow but what you are talking about happened at about 4:00 about 1500 birds came from the open water circled the refuge 2-3 times and then headed south prob to walpole but who knows

·
Registered
115 Posts
we also had a great friday and saturday. in a bay near the island. limit of greenheads a couple of bb and a blk. funny thing is the mallards were decoying to our diver spread not the mallard side of the spread

1 - 6 of 6 Posts