Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
There were guys out on Grand Lake two days ago but its raining cats and dogs now. Sounds like the forecast is not going to make good ice for awhile. A fisherman with a small boat could have gotten out of Harrisville harbor with no trouble. Good luck with the derby.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I am a member of Lost Lake and I called up there last week and talked to the assistant manager and she said that they have 6 to 8 inches of ice and that the Trout Derby is a definite go. I called the Side Door Bait Shop on the south side of Hubbard Lake and he said the same thing. I will be heading up Wednesday night to do some pike fishing at the club and walleye fishing on Hubbard.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My friend and I will be out in front of the club probably right after the derby is over. If you see two young teens or an HT ice shanty come on over. We're going up there thurs. night, but steel fishing fri.

·
Registered
353 Posts
There is really no one place that is better than any other. Bear Lake, where the Derby is held, is fairly flat with little structure. There is one hole about 15 feet deep and some weeds on the south side in arount 7 to 8 feet of water. I usually try to stay away from the crowd but the people in the middle of the noise and snowmobiles quite often do better. The fishing usually gets better after the Derby ends at 3:00 pm.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Usually the trout are all over no matter where you go. Best thing to do is move around. I found them in 1-2' of water one year. Ya never know. Its more of a have fun have a few drinks kinda tournament. Its a good time. Gunna be out there for sure

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.